Tilt button on lever does not work

Tom Dearing

Reaction score
My lift button on the forward/reverse lever does not work. However. The lift button on the motor does work. Help.

If under warranty, dealer.

If not, probably a loose connection or faulty switch. There may also be a fuse or relay involved so those can be checked as well.

It'll likely be a simple electrical issue but take some troubleshooting to find. The Hull Truth may be a resource, do a search there. If you're not a DIY type then hand off to dealer.

On my old boat with a Honda BF115, one day the button worked to move the motor up but not to move it down. I took the handle apart and found a broken wire. Reconnected it and all was well.

Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum. I once had a tilt and trim motor (on a previous boat) that died altogether. The good news for you is that doesn't appear to be the case here. I agree with the others that the problem can likely be found in the wiring. If you don't feel comfortable taking the handle unit apart, or especially if it is under warranty, I recommend letting the dealer fix it.

Could be that the contacts in the switch are dirty. Work the crap out of it back and forth and see if it starts to work.

Could be that the contacts in the switch are dirty. Work the crap out of it back and forth and see if it starts to work.
Years ago, it happened on my old boat. Before taking it apart, I thought I’d first try some WD40. For two or three days I shot WD40 into the switch and it started working and I never had a problem after that.

I assume it was just dirty/corroded contacts.

Back