Top Speed Reduction

Stormie25RCL

Reaction score
I got my 2550 RCL, 2-toon, in March and has been in docked in the water at the marina since March.  When I purchased the boat I could get 5700 WOT and 35.1 mph on gps with about 3/8 tank of gas and 2 adults.

Now, I top out at 5400 WOT and only 30.5 mph under the same weight conditions.  The dealer has suggested cleaning the tubes as growth is likely to be creating drag.  Visually, there is a slight discoloration but no major growth.

Has anyone else seen a similar effect based on tube drag or have any other thoughts?

Besides pontoon condition, another important factor is air temperature.  In March the air was likely a lot colder than it is now.  These outboard engines will run much better with colder combustion air in spring, fall, and winter than in summer when the air is warm.  Just the nature of the beast.

I doubt very much there is anything wrong with your engine. 

I'll bet if you get in the water with a scotchbrite pad and clean the tubes , your speed will come back.

I would agree with SS360. The weather and water conditions can play a big part in how a motor performs. In my area, the summer temps can make a big difference in top end. Hence, my reason for going with the verado vs Yamaha. The weather has a much smaller affect on forced induction.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Not arguing with the cooler effect but I would also pay some attention to what Cwag911 has said.  Even when your toons don't look terrible a good cleaning can make a remarkable difference.  Stormie if you end up taking Cwag's advice check your speed and please post the results so we can see what a difference it makes

Thanks.  I did consider the weather, I think we were in the 50's then and didn't think it would have that much of an effect on the performance.  I cleaned the outside of the tubes, just gotta finish the bottom and insides.....tough when it's always in the water.  Amazing what happens in just a few weeks!  I will post the results after.  Roll Tide....sorry that was for the locals.

Elevation has the same effect as temperature.  Both impact the density of the air (more dense = more oxygen per volume of air).

I think some may be forgetting that elevation can cause you to not compare well with others. 

Of course if you are at the same elevation and your speed drops off, then it ain't elevation that's the problem.  Just sayin, if you aren't getting the speed similar boats are on the forum, elevation may be the difference, and there's nothing you can do about it.  Other than PADSing a new Verado.

The elevation is the same.  The drop off occurred on my lake and in looking back at the actual temperature, it was 61F vs 90F now.  This puts a lot more merit on drag of the 'toons.  Glad the water on the lake is ~ 82F!!!  I have to wonder if tri-toons are more sensitive to build up.

I wonder how much scum I scrub off just pulling up on the beach...

Ha ha. I don't know. With what's all in that nasty lake, I wouldn't be surprised if beaching it actually added scum to my pontoons.

I'll bet if you get in the water with a scotchbrite pad and clean the tubes , your speed will come back.
 Carl ,Is the scotchbrite OK on Sharkhide ?

Carl ,Is the scotchbrite OK on Sharkhide ?
You know Jack, I'm not sure. I don't think the real light stuff would hurt it though. I'll check into that.

I would say it would scuff it. When I put some on the first time, I had to grind some of it off, and start over, and my experience there makes me say this. But, I have polished toons. With the factory finish it might not do too much.

Definitely try it in an inconspicuous spot if you do.

To me Shark Hide is much like the clear coat on a car. You wouldn't use scotchbrite on that.... Just be careful!

I would say it would scuff it. When I put some on the first time, I had to grind some of it off, and start over, and my experience there makes me say this. But, I have polished toons. With the factory finish it might not do too much.

Definitely try it in an inconspicuous spot if you do.

To me Shark Hide is much like the clear coat on a car. You wouldn't use scotchbrite on that.... Just be careful!
Thats a good comparison ,I am just going to continue to use a sponge until I hear different  .

OK, just got off the phone with Clint @ Sharkhide. For cleaning from the waterline down, he said to use a plastic grill brush (black with a handle like 3" x 5") and it won't hurt the sharkhide. He said what hurts the sharkhide is leaving the algae growth on the tubes for an extended length of time. He also said if anyone has any questions at any time to call him. He would rather have people informed about than complaining about his product. He stands behind his product.

Clint (618) 910-8890 cell

Interesting ,Thanks Carl 

I have used a scotchbrite pad on my tubes and it doesn't hurt it a bit. Then again it doesn't really get that dirty because it doesn't stay in the water for any real length of time..............

You mean with brass bristles??? Or the kind that has what looks more like a scotchbrite pad? I have one grill brush, and it has both, one on each side...

Back