Top speed WOT

Gatlinman

Reaction score
Good day!
Had a chance to get out on the water in western NC. Today was 76 degrees and Lake James was purely glass.
Boat is a S20 SLG extended aft deck with Yamaha 90 SHO VMAX.
7mph head wind, I logged by my Garmin 26.2 MPH max speed.
Bimini top was down.
With the Bimini up in the same wind, we averaged roughly 24mph (lots of fluctuations in GPS with it up).
On board, two adults that are not in shape! Two coolers of ice.
Total weight on boat around 500lbs with coolers.
Just posting the speed in hopes it might inform someone.
Cheers!

Oh, BTW fuel tank was 3/4 full.

Last edited:
Good day!
Had a chance to get out the water in western NC. Today was 76 degrees and Lake James was purely glass.
Bimini top was down.
With the Bimini up in the same wind, we averaged roughly 24mph (lots of fluctuations in GPS with it up).
On board two adults that are not in shape! Two coolers of ice.
total weight on boat, call it about 500lbs with coolers.
Just posting the speed in hopes it might inform someone.
peace.

oh BTW fuel tank was 3/4 full.
Sounds like you got out and had some fun. Enjoy that southern sunshine and warmth.

That sounds about right. What kind/pitch prop are you running?
TT

That is excellent performance for the conditions. Our 20 footer can't touch that speed with the load and wind you had with any prop. Did you check your speed running down-wind?

@tinkertoy, we are running a bone stock set up. SOLAS 3411-135-15 which I think translates to a 13.5” prop and 15” pitch. As to partybarge question, no I never checked it with a tail wind. Fact is the water was absolute glass, and I was in a straight line for at least 1/8th to 1/4 mile to get that speed. Any curve, wave etc. would drop the speed. It was perfect conditions. Also, and I doubt this helps, but for the sake of sake, I have only run 93 octane recreation gas. It’s way overkill and not required, but my local gas station keeps it in stock, so that’s what I’ve used.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 17
Just picked up our 22SXSR this weekend. It has a Yamaha 150. In South Carolina, so we also had a beautiful weekend (75 degrees Friday and Saturday). After break in we were able to try WOT, hit 38mph (according to the SIMRAD) both days. Full tank and 2 adults onboard. No complaints with performance.

Attachments

• B4DD3EC5-2220-4D0F-BA99-8BFAF053A44E.jpeg
    B4DD3EC5-2220-4D0F-BA99-8BFAF053A44E.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 36AAF028-0B3D-411E-B56E-26D4E8098ABF.jpeg
    36AAF028-0B3D-411E-B56E-26D4E8098ABF.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 39
Just picked up our 22SXSR this weekend. It has a Yamaha 150. In South Carolina, so we also had a beautiful weekend (75 degrees Friday and Saturday). After break in we were able to try WOT, hit 38mph (according to the SIMRAD) both days. Full tank and 2 adults onboard. No complaints with performance.
Welcome to the forum Palmetto. What lake are you on?

What hole is your motor set in and prop size and pitch thanks. Love the boat we have the same on order.

2021, 22SXSR, 200 HP. Water Light Chop, Full Fuel, Top Down, One Person Fully Trimmed Out, Reliance Prop 42.5 MPH. That's about all she will do. No problem hitting the 41 MPH mark with Wife on board sitting in co-pilot seat. Basic Boat, pretty much, except for Power Steering Pump under the Helm, SPS with Extended Rear Deck
IMG_2709.jpg

2021, 22SXSR, 200 HP. Water Light Chop, Full Fuel, Top Down, One Person Fully Trimmed Out, Reliance Prop 42.5 MPH. That's about all she will do. No problem hitting the 41 MPH mark with Wife on board sitting in co-pilot seat. Basic Boat, pretty much, except for Power Steering Pump under the Helm, SPS with Extended Rear Deck
View attachment 31562
Best thing I ever did was opt for the power steering. Love the red and silver!!!

Thanks BigK. We alternate between Lake Murray (in Columbia) and Clarks Hill (also called Lake Thurmond in Augusta GA).
We've been to Lake Murray. Beautiful! Sunedog, a long time member of this forum is also a long time resident of Lake Murray. Would like to visit Lake Strom Thurmond. Heard it's huge!

Bimini top was down.
Our 20SLG w/o extended aft runs 26 average. See signature line for boat specs. Wife and I are in shape with coolers and full tank. I think we’re both getting great results!

Attachments

• 39BC91E3-DF63-4F40-9597-F11DD6167AE0.jpeg
    39BC91E3-DF63-4F40-9597-F11DD6167AE0.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18
Our 20SLG w/o extended aft runs 26 average. See signature line for boat specs. Wife and I are in shape with coolers and full tank. I think we’re both getting great results!
I think this is close to the best the boat would run and I mean best. For a 90hp motor, like you, I think it’s awesome. That said, I have young children, do I see myself going bigger? It’s a qualified maybe. I’m going to my dealer to buy all of my tubing gear this weekend. The motor is more than I expected, I’ll say that.

@Greg23LSB man it has been good, but I think our luck is about to run out soon! Peace!

We've been to Lake Murray. Beautiful! Sunedog, a long time member of this forum is also a long time resident of Lake Murray. Would like to visit Lake Strom Thurmond. Heard it's huge!
Lake Murray is more residential (lots of homes on the shoreline). Lake Thurmond tends to be more wooded, some campgrounds and just a few homes shoreline. Both big beautiful lakes. My profile picture and the attached photo are from the shoreline at Lake Thurmond. . Would love to meet some other members sometime. We trailer and use public ramps. Have some friends with lakefront property at Lake Murray and others who camp at Lake Thurmond. But we tend to do day trips.

Attachments

• 6B2250D9-096D-4BCB-963D-68A08552013A.jpeg
    6B2250D9-096D-4BCB-963D-68A08552013A.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 17
I'm jealous of all you down south who are out boating! I had my new snow blower delivered Saturday and brought in the snow shovels from the shed...
Jeez! I’m originally from NY. Went to college in Worcester, MA. Worked a few years in Cambridge, then moved to SC in 1990 and haven’t looked back. Certainly advantages and disadvantage living north or south. But we tend to be outdoors as much as possible (even in the 100 degree summers down south). Took some acclimation. And my blood has thinned out. My family laughs at me when I visit them up north in the winter. I’m usually in a heavy jacket and they are wearing a sweatshirt.

I'm jealous of all you down south who are out boating! I had my new snow blower delivered Saturday and brought in the snow shovels from the shed...
When we moved to NC neighbors told me that I wouldn't need my snowblower. If I sold it NC would have a blizzard the next day. Still got it.

Back