Tow vehicle recommendations

LionFam

Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello All,

We purchased our first pontoon and are looking for tow vehicle recommendations. We have a 25rxfba with a Yamaha 300. Total weight is about 6000 lbs. We like the f150 with the ecoboost 3.5 and trailer towing package. We will trailer occasionally 3-5 trips of less than 100 miles. The specs make it look like an easy choice. But most Bennington videos have at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

Any advice is much appreciated.
 
F150 with the tow package is 12,000 lbs, you will not have any issues. I tow my 26LX with a Ford Expedition with zero issues, and my 9K RV also. Be sure the trailer has brakes - Electric over Hydraulic is best, but electric is fine for the limited towing. Also a strong believer in the Equal-i-zer weight distribution / sway control system - it is about $900 plus get it professionally installed, there is some magic to it and special tools to set the ball right. With that said, an F350 will provide some better tow performance due to weight and design, but the extra $$$ - unless you are planning for a 5th wheel - pass.
 
I have the 3.5 150 with max tow package and have no problems. IMO, given your limited trips per year, I wouldn’t pay the upgrade cost over the 150 unless you are in mountain type road conditions.
 
F150 with the tow package is 12,000 lbs, you will not have any issues. I tow my 26LX with a Ford Expedition with zero issues, and my 9K RV also. Be sure the trailer has brakes - Electric over Hydraulic is best, but electric is fine for the limited towing. Also a strong believer in the Equal-i-zer weight distribution / sway control system - it is about $900 plus get it professionally installed, there is some magic to it and special tools to set the ball right. With that said, an F350 will provide some better tow performance due to weight and design, but the extra $$$ - unless you are planning for a 5th wheel - pass.
Thank you LTA.
 
I have a Q27X2 with dual Verado 300’s hanging off the back. It’s sits on a tri-axle trailer and I have zero problems towing it with a GMC Denali 1500 with tow package.

You should have no issues…

Dan
 
If this discussion follows the trend of any other "tow vehicle" internet discussions, you will soon find that anything short of a Peterbilt will reflect you lack of concern for your occupants as well as a careless disregard for other drivers on the road.
 
I have a Q27X2 with dual Verado 300’s hanging off the back. It’s sits on a tri-axle trailer and I have zero problems towing it with a GMC Denali 1500 with tow package.

You should have no issues…

Dan
Much appreciated.
 
I towed a 4,000lb boat plus 1,500lb dual axle trailer with an old Toyota Sequoia that was only rated for 6,000lb. Not saying that it was fun or that I had a ton of safety margin but it could be done.

Now tow with an F150 3.5eb with the max trailer package.

An F250 you wouldn't even feel it back there. It's all about how much operating margin you want.
 
Really appreciate your insight.
I have a Q27X2 with dual Verado 300’s hanging off the back. It’s sits on a tri-axle trailer and I have zero problems towing it with a GMC Denali 1500 with tow package.

You should have no issues…

Dan
Thank you Dan.
 
I tow with a 2026 F250 Lariat 4X4 with the gas 7.3L Godzilla V8, 10 speed transmission. No half ton compares to this truck and when you hit the brakes, this truck stops. No cylinder deactivation, no EPA mandated fuel economy, gets 15-16 on the highway, 12-13 around town. I've towed with half tons for 45 years, this truck is a beast and will pull and STOP anything up to 17000 pounds you hook to it. I ordered this truck exactly the way I wanted it and am very pleased with the purchase.
 
Thank you Fitz. If I were towing more frequently, I would probably buy the truck most capable of towing.
 
Get more truck than you need.. you'll love the outcome... A high end 1/2 ton is at the same price point as a mid trim (think lariat) value with a much more bad ass truck. Build your truck on Fords website and order it through your local dealer. Avoid the 6.7 diesel up grade for $13K , you dont need it!
 
An F150 would be the most vehicle I would buy if that boat was all I was towing, it's far more than adequate. I've seen people with mid-sized SUVs (like 4Runners and Cherokees) towing pontoons but I would definitely NOT recommend THAT! I've yet to meet a boat trailer with electric brakes, they all seem to have surge brakes in the sizes we're talking about here. I've never seen nor felt I needed anti sway with any boat trailer in this size category either (but if you were planning on towing with less than a 1/2 pickup, I WOULD recommend it).
 
We have a 10 year old Nissan Armada with an 8,500 towing capacity, and I routinely pull our 28QXFBWA with a Verado 425.

If tank is full, weight of boat + trailer is 8,100 lbs (the Sea Legs are 800 lbs of that) but the Armada handles it just fine.

Only three thins I'd add are (1) I don't exceed 70mph on the highway (I try to keep it to 65), (2) I never leave it in D since the 7-speed transmission is always searching for a better gear, and (3) this is in MN so not dealing with mountains.

Also note that you can't use a weight-distributing hitch if you have surge breaks like we have on our Yacht Club trailer.

Finally, although expensive, we love the B&W TS10049B hitch since it's a high-capacity beast and you can get the trailer exaclty level:

1789667270593.png
 
Hello All,

We purchased our first pontoon and are looking for tow vehicle recommendations. We have a 25rxfba with a Yamaha 300. Total weight is about 6000 lbs. We like the f150 with the ecoboost 3.5 and trailer towing package. We will trailer occasionally 3-5 trips of less than 100 miles. The specs make it look like an easy choice. But most Bennington videos have at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Well Lionfarm,
You've probably made up your mind by now but I thought I'd toss another idea at ya. We have a '14 Bennington RCL2550 with the Yamaha F-350 5.3L V-8 350 HP and together with the twin axle trailer, that whole rig is right at 6,700 lbs with right at 375-400 lbs tongue weight. The truck we used to have for 13 years was a GMC 1500 Extended Cab with the 5.3L 300HP V-8. It towed that boat *fairly* well. We live in lake Havasu AZ which, the entire town is either UPHILL or DOWN HILL. About the only level part is down by the lake. Soooo, towing that boat with that truck, BACK UPHILL to our home was slightly laborious for that truck. It did it but not without working a bit.

Step forward to our recently acquired 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Extra Cab 4x4 with the 3.0L Ecodiesel. That engine, in this truck, pulls that boat CONSIDERABLY EASIER than our last truck. I use about 1/2 the throttle for any and all pulling it up hill to our home or, even pulling the boat up a boat ramp. It's just sooooo much nicer to not have to worry or even think about how it was tougher with the other truck. And, this truck with this engine DESTROYS just about every other truck on the planet with MPG. We hover between 20 and 22 around town and if it's held at 60-65 on flat ground, we consistently achieve 34-35 mpg, whoooooopieeeee! Heck, even if I get rambunctious, and do 70+ mph, I still get 28-32 mpg.

While the payload of this new Ram is still quite high at around 1,600 or so lbs, I decided to install some air bags as assistance for when I take on that 400 lbs+ of tongue weight. You almost can't tell that it drops ever so slightly when the full weight of the boat trailer tongue weight. I add just a few psi pressure just to take some of the load off the trucks rear springs and, to restore handling geometry to the steering although it's really not needed. The Ecodiesel installation in the Ram pickups was ended in 2023 so, if this idea (engine) and it's performance and mileage appeals to you, you're gonna have to look for a '21 - '23 model as that's the best generation of that engine to have. Good luck on whatever you choose.
Scott
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7968.JPG
    IMG_7968.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
After all the issues I had with my 3500 ram that got bought back I just rent a truck from enterprise commercial the few times a year I need it now
 
Back
Top