Tow vehicle

If you go with the Tundra, which is what I tow with, be sure to go with the big 5.7 liter v-8. Plenty of horsepower but more important is lots of torque. If memory serves me correct, it's 391 hp and 290 ft lbs of torque.
Your memory is correct. B)

If you go with the Tundra, which is what I tow with, be sure to go with the big 5.7 liter v-8. Plenty of horsepower but more important is lots of torque. If memory serves me correct, it's 391 hp and 290 ft lbs of torque.
Thats what I towed with, 2004 Tundra V8 with tow package. However, its a 108 mile round trip to the ramp, twice a weekend at these gas prices... Needless to say we ended up renting a slip and saving more $$ for boat gas.

Brian

Thanks for all the input. I Bought a truck yesterday, a 2008 Toyota tundra crewmax with the 5.7 liter motor. Other than gas mileage I think I am going to love this thing. Now it's time to finalize my new Benny. Looking at ordering a 2013 2275 GCW 150 hp merc. With the SPS package, which has the 3 25" toons. Options include hydraulic steering, raised helm, R series captain chair, LED cup holders and Bimini, dual battery, in floor storage, snap in carpet, upgraded rear lounge, bow filler cushion, and probably a couple I can't think of at the moment. I will be looking forward to spring.

Thank again for all the input, much appreciated.

Thanks for all the input. I Bought a truck yesterday, a 2008 Toyota tundra crewmax with the 5.7 liter motor. Other than gas mileage I think I am going to love this thing. Now it's time to finalize my new Benny. Looking at ordering a 2013 2275 GCW 150 hp merc. With the SPS package, which has the 3 25" toons. Options include hydraulic steering, raised helm, R series captain chair, LED cup holders and Bimini, dual battery, in floor storage, snap in carpet, upgraded rear lounge, bow filler cushion, and probably a couple I can't think of at the moment. I will be looking forward to spring.

Thank again for all the input, much appreciated.
Sounds great! I notice it says hydraulic steering, did you get the power steering as well? Not sure how much extra it is, but believe me, you will love it when throwing around that 150 motor, or is it the merc that has built in power steering?

Derrick

When I purchased my last new truck I cheaped out and got a 1/2 ton instead of 3/4 ton. Huge mistake. It was used to haul a 7x14 cargo trailer loaded with clothing and by the time I hit 100,000 miles it was on it's third transmission. I could have paid for a 1 ton with the money I spent on repairs. From there on it has been 3/4 ton trucks. For towing barn-door-like pontoons, the rear diff should have nothing taller than 373 gears, 410's if you run tall tires or tow near the upper limit of your vehicles rated weight.

Derrick,

That's one option i have been debating about. It is extra and the boat builder has an MSRP i believe around $2,200, Actual cost around $1,800. I drove one at the boat show and they are very nice. It doesn't seem that this is a very popular option, my dealer told me less than 10% get this option on their boats. i will have to do some more thinking on this one. i have less than a week before i finalize my options.

thanks

Kevin H.

Get the power steering, you won't regret it.

I drove a 2275RCW with Express 3/4 tube package and Merc 150 4 stroke and hydraulic steering without assist, then the same boat with ESP and 250's with power assist, both Seastar on Yamaha and Mercury Verado versions. Since we're on a smaller lake requiring a lot of turning and do some tubing and wakeboarding, we decided the non-assist version was just way too much of a workout. There is a HUGE difference once you get up to speed and turn the boat, especially when it's a flat turn, not banked like the ESP. I think the power steering is worth every penny on a boat this expensive already. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Take a moment and look at the Ford F150 with EcoBoost.... one very tough contender; EcoBoost V6 models make 365-hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, with 90% of that torque at 1700 rpm.

Steve

Take a moment and look at the Ford F150 with EcoBoost.... one very tough contender; EcoBoost V6 models make 365-hp and 420 lb-ft of torque, with 90% of that torque at 1700 rpm.

Steve
I have talked to a lot of ecobost owners and they love them for daily driving and light use but when you need to use the power they all say the same thing, they are extremely hard on gas, plus the amount of power being generated by that small of an engine has the verdict of engine longevity hanging for a few years of real world use for those who need to use the power as well.

The New Ford 6.7 l Diesel sounds like it has been a nightmare following in the footsteps of the old 6.0 powerstrokes yet, turbo failures that lead in most cases to engine failures shortly thereafter at a high rate of failure.

I was looking hard at getting a 5.7 toyota tundra before deciding on the Hemi Ram after talking to a bunch of people who own them as well as dealers and I got one message from everyone I talked to 100% said if you are going to use the pickup for work or towing DO NOT GET A TOYOTA!!! They are extremely hard on fuel once even the smallest of trailers touches the receiver hitch ball only plan to see 10mpg at best. I could have taken this with a grain of salt had I not had every single person I talked to tell me the exact same story. :eek:

I have 2 Dodge Rams a 2010 1500 quad cab short box 4x4 5.7 hemi with 390 hp and it has a ton of power and I have seen 20 mpg with it on easy road trips and everyday driving it does 16.5overall daily driving and around 13 mpg If I pull my 25 foot 7K avion camper, it handles it like a dream but when I pull the pontoon it really has its hands full at highway speeds but I think it would do a lot better with 3.73 instead of the 3.54 It currently has.

So I generally pull the toon with my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short box Cummins auto 4x4 3.73 gears and it pulls the toon very easily in comparison. I like the extra stability of the 2500 when on the open road with windy conditions it stays planted better as the 1500 can get a bit squirly in the rear with the wind pushing the big parachute around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derrick,

That's one option i have been debating about. It is extra and the boat builder has an MSRP i believe around $2,200, Actual cost around $1,800. I drove one at the boat show and they are very nice. It doesn't seem that this is a very popular option, my dealer told me less than 10% get this option on their boats. i will have to do some more thinking on this one. i have less than a week before i finalize my options.

thanks

Kevin H.
I mean no offense to your dealer, but I think he pulled the number out of his hat! I would be interested in seeing a # based on engine size, I know I for one would HATE not having the power steering! It is worth every penny! If you read back through old posts, there was a topic on this, basically it came down to, hydraulic steering makes it easy to HOLD the turn, but doesn't do a darn thing to help you get it there! The whole boating experience is meant to be fun and relaxing, it is not fun nor relaxing when you are pulling a tuber or skier and all you can do is grunt while turning the wheel instead of turn it with two fingers and laugh when you dump your wife off the tube! Oops, sorry, that was my own personal joyous memory there, you'll have to make your own!

Derrick

Ps, no one had better mention to my wife that I consider that a 'happy' memory, as far as she was told it was a rogue wave from one of those darn wakeboarding boats! Nothing to do with me! Heck I'm pretty sure I tried to counter wake it and cancel it out! Pretty sure that term doesn't exist, but once again, she doesn't know, mums the word!

I have talked to a lot of ecobost owners and they love them for daily driving and light use but when you need to use the power they all say the same thing, they are extremely hard on gas, plus the amount of power being generated by that small of an engine has the verdict of engine longevity hanging for a few years of real world use for those who need to use the power as well.

The New Ford 6.7 l Diesel sounds like it has been a nightmare following in the footsteps of the old 6.0 powerstrokes yet, turbo failures that lead in most cases to engine failures shortly thereafter at a high rate of failure.

I was looking hard at getting a 5.7 toyota tundra before deciding on the Hemi Ram after talking to a bunch of people who own them as well as dealers and I got one message from everyone I talked to 100% said if you are going to use the pickup for work or towing DO NOT GET A TOYOTA!!! They are extremely hard on fuel once even the smallest of trailers touches the receiver hitch ball only plan to see 10mpg at best. I could have taken this with a grain of salt had I not had every single person I talked to tell me the exact same story. :eek:

I have 2 Dodge Rams a 2010 1500 quad cab short box 4x4 5.7 hemi with 390 hp and it has a ton of power and I have seen 20 mpg with it on easy road trips and everyday driving it does 16.5overall daily driving and around 13 mpg If I pull my 25 foot 7K avion camper, it handles it like a dream but when I pull the pontoon it really has its hands full at highway speeds but I think it would do a lot better with 3.73 instead of the 3.54 It currently has.

So I generally pull the toon with my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab short box Cummins auto 4x4 3.73 gears and it pulls the toon very easily in comparison. I like the extra stability of the 2500 when on the open road with windy conditions it stays planted better as the 1500 can get a bit squirly in the rear with the wind pushing the big parachute around.

It's funny, I get very similar mileage with my Toyota as you stated above. You however failed to mention what mileage you get with your 1500 ram while pulling your pontoon. All the people you talked to must have been dodge fans. I actually think the rams are great trucks. Used to have one

myself, so don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a debate on which is better. I simply don't think there is that much difference in mpg

It's funny, I get very similar mileage with my Toyota as you stated above. You however failed to mention what mileage you get with your 1500 ram while pulling your pontoon. All the people you talked to must have been dodge fans. I actually think the rams are great trucks. Used to have one

myself, so don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a debate on which is better. I simply don't think there is that much difference in mpg
The mileage with my 5.7 Hemi while towing the Tune is 12-13, That with constant rolling hills and most generally head/cross winds.I have owned it since february at 18K miles currently at 34K miles, I have not seen a single tank ever drop below 12 mpg no matter how hard I have pulled it being it my 16 foot stock trailer with 1 horse my 7K lb travel trailer or the toon, I rarely if ever drive slower than 65 mph which is actually about the slowest speed limit on our roads. I figure the mileage at every fill up, I am a bit anal I guess. :)

I talked to several owners who have never owned a Dodge product One being a family member who owns one and a majority were salesmen telling me this as I was looking at and test driving the tundras. Don't get me wrong I love the looks and the power of the Tundra But I was looking for a more econimical daily driver and the Hemi seemed to fit the bill for me, although I am a Long time Ram fan the tundras had me sold hook line and sinker but common sense and economics overwhelmed my decision not to mention the 390 HP of fun the Hemi has I drove the Hemi last after having tried 3 Tundras and I fell in love with the first touch of the throttle. :D My last ride was a modded 02 Dodge Cummins with 560 hp and 980 torque at the rear wheel, I daily drove it and had it set up for power pulling. I had not owned a Gas powered vehicle for nearly 10 years, also have TDI VW car. But since the price of diesel has been through the roof I gave up my toy for something more practical. My wife calls the Hemi an old man ride.

I pull a 2500 pound cargo trailer every week, many times multiple times per week. This trailer also has a 80" interior height and is not a V-nose. I know it's much more wind resistence than my pontoon, although the boat is heavier with gear and trailer.

My fuel mileage with the Tahoe stays around 11.5 (+/- a couple tenths) pulling my cargo trailer. I have been shopping for a pick up lately, my Ford dealer (also Toyota) allowed me to use a EcoBoost, 2 wheel drive, 4 door F150 for a 175 mile round trip pulling my cargo trailer about a week ago. My mileage with the EcoBoost was 12.6, I thought that was a decent improvement. The truck rides great, every bit as good as my Tahoe. All the auto magazine reviews of this engine have been very good to excellent, they like it much better than the 5.7 liter.

Truthfully I'm looking for comfort and ease of pull with fuel mileage a third concern. Fourth, need a good crash rating.

To me the Tundra is just too big, that truck dwarfs my Tahoe. I will not buy another GM product so those are out and I have yet to look closely at the Ram trucks.

Steve

Since you already bought a truck, I won't enter the debate on that one. Good luck with your Toyota.

Regarding your question of whether to spend the extra money for the hydraulic steering w/power-assist. My tritoon came with std. Seastar hyd. steering. I drove it that way for a couple of years and was quite happy with it. Then we started to use the trioon for tubing. If you're gonna pull the tube in a straight line all day, no problem. But what REAL tuber doesn't want to be swung out in the turns. :) Those repetative turns quickly become a real workout without power assist. I installed the power-assist unit the following year and never looked back. It seems like a lot of money and it is for what the unit actually is. But what it adds to the pleasure of your boating experience will make it all worth it.

My brother and I have the same Bennington tritoon. He doesn't have power-assist. I let him drive mine a few weeks back. His response to the power-assist..."I gotta have it". :)

Thanks for the info on the power assist. To clarify, my dealer wasn't talking me out of it I Simply asked him what percentage of benningtons that he sells has power assist. I will try and talk the wife into spending the extra money for it. I am sure I will regret it after a year or so If I don't get it.

As far as the truck, I think everybody is different. Honestly, if I didn't get a Toyota I would have bought a ford. I am just not a big Chevy, dodge fan. It's just my personal taste. We'll see how the Toyota treats me over the next couple years and if for some reason I don't like it then I'll make a switch.

I appreciate everybody's input.

Thanks

I can not comment on power steering as I have never driven a boat with it, both of my Bennies have had the sea star hydraulic steering with absolutely zero issues with steering effort in any conditions with my yama 150. My wife has no issues with it as well.

You can always add the power assist to the sea star hydraulic steering later. Installation is relatively simple. If you decide to wait, search the Internet for a better deal on the unit. I found a dealer that had a brand new take-off because the customer wanted a Verado which has its own system. I bought the unit at quite a discount.

My truck????? Yeah, it's got a HEMI !!!!!

I towed my 24ft with a Honda Pilot. It was "rated" for the weight, but didn't feel as safe as I'd like. We also couldn't pull it out of a marina one day. That was fun!! Now it's stored at the marina until I buy an appropriate tow vehicle. The money to keep it in a slip is cheaper than a car!!

Back