Towing Another Boat

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
Anyone know what the proper rope attachment point is for towing another boat?  I had to tow someone about a mile or so last weekend and I ended up using my ski pylon which worked very well.  I see that there are rings on the back of the pontoons just wondering if using those are a better option.

You need to use the rings on the back of the pontoon deck to pull anything.  These are bolted thru the metal deck frame.

You need to use the rings on the back of the pontoon deck to pull anything.  These are bolted thru the metal deck frame.
I looked at those but they're useless for towing as the rope would rub against the motor.  That left a few options, cleats, eyes on pontoons or ski pylon.

airhead-heavy-duty-pontoon-style-tow-harness.jpg

I actually have one of those splitters I have towed several boats with over the years and it works very good. I got it for tubing behind my older Benny but since the new benny has a pole I just use the splitter for dead vessel recovery now lol..

This is the method and connection point for pulling tubers (another boat).  I use the same bridle with the pulley attachment, and it doesn't rub the motor.

This is the method and connection point for pulling tubers (another boat).  I use the same bridle with the pulley attachment, and it doesn't rub the motor.
What is the attachment point?  The eyes near the motor will not work without the rope rubbing against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the eyelets on the backs of the actual pontoons be the way to go in that situation?

This isn't the best pic, but you can see one there.

powell-august-lg-4.jpg

Great photo, love the dog. :)

That's what I'm wondering if those would be the preferred method after the eyes next to the motor.

This is one of those questions best answered by Bennington. Making the wrong assumption in regards to towing another boat could result in a costly mistake. I can see a warranty claim denied due to using the wrong towing point, let alone a liability issue. I have seen too many towing accidents both offroad and on the water.

Cheers, Steve 

As I understand it from Bennington the ONLY connecting point for towing is the 2 U shaped loops on the rear deck crossmember around the motor, and yes, it requires a bridle. You should never use the pontoon loops as they're not designed for that type of load, but especially do not use the tow bar/pylon/tower, since if the line snaps under tension someone could be injured by the fly back. I once saw a ski rope snap that went through the windshield of a Mastercraft. It could have been very ugly.

Tom is bang on correct. Do a search, Bennington has answered this before and that was what was said. They are through bolted to the cross member and are to be used 

As I understand it from Bennington the ONLY connecting point for towing is the 2 U shaped loops on the rear deck crossmember around the motor, and yes, it requires a bridle. You should never use the pontoon loops as they're not designed for that type of load, but especially do not use the tow bar/pylon/tower, since if the line snaps under tension someone could be injured by the fly back. I once saw a ski rope snap that went through the windshield of a Mastercraft. It could have been very ugly.
Good point about the rope breaking.  The two loops near the engine are useless even with a bridle unless you want the rope rubbing against the motor.

Good point about the rope breaking.  The two loops near the engine are useless even with a bridle unless you want the rope rubbing against the motor.
I've towed with just one loop, no problems, as it offsets to one side or the other.

I think it depends on the bridal / splitter and what motor one has. I have towed with my 150 Yamaha many times and used to tube with it and never once did I see any contact with the motor, if one has a wider V6 I could possibly see contact and or if one has a short bridal/splitter. This was while pulling from the channel mounted u-bolts.

I have used the harness pictured above to attach to the proper u-bolts as was previously recommended by Team Bennington since those u-bolts are used to lift the boat in the factory.  The harness stayed away from my engine (Yamaha 250) and worked very well.

Jack

My pylon has a sticker on that says it should not be used for towing other watercraft.
Funny my mono-pylon has no sticker or any information regarding towing or maximum pulling capacity.  I guess that if you could pull at large tube with 4 adults it can certainly tow a boat at low speed with the same 4000# rated rope.

Back