Trailer advice.

Dgj

Reaction score
I wanted to pass along a lesson I learned this fall.
After moving the front stop on my trailer several times I couldn’t get the bounce out while going down the interstate. It was bad enough it caused the truck to move some. Nothing alarming but enough I didn’t feel like it should be doing it. But when I added an extra tie down to my center toon pulling it down at a 45 degree angle along with the winch strap it took it completely out. Trailers great now. Something simple that I should have thought about right away but didn’t. This has probably been talked about on here before but thought I would add it now being that boating season is kicking off for many

Can you send a picture of that?

I’ll try one day this week. It is just a simple ratchet strap connected to the eye on the center toon and pulling it down tight along with the normal trailer winch strap

I have a toon toter brand trailer and it has a loop for the winch strap located on the post below the winch. Pulls the boat forward and down helping with that bounce. I can also take a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested. It wouldn't be that hard to add something like it to other trailers.

I all so have the hole down low that I use for the Ratchet strap. But please post a picture of it if it is easy for you my boat is at my in laws inside.

The perfect setup is where the rear of your pontoon is right there at the rear of the bunk of the trailer. If you set your trailer up where your toons are hanging off the back OR the bunks are way behind the back of the toons, just to achieve proper tongue weight, then your trailer isn't right for the boat. Of course there is a range that works but it might be trial and error to figure it out. If you're off by a few inches, not a big deal. A foot off might not be too big a deal if you're just towing a couple of miles but not if it's your permanent trailer and you go more than a couple of miles on a regular basis.

I do something similar but use a separate ratchet strap to the point below. My stop is a little different though.

It goes from the winch over the cross member , down to the loop on the upright , then up under the deck. You may need to zoom in on the pic a little bit to see it clearly.

We added a couple new SS tie eyes under the front deck, next to the center toon on each side, along with a pair of BoatBuckles and the optional BoatBuckle mounting brackets on the trailer. Works real slick and no separate ratchet strap to mess with.

Love the boat buckle system. Easy to use and quick. It's installed on the trailer so one less thing to worry about.

I attached my ratchet strap to the link in the chain.

Attachments

• 9EEF6788-88BE-414E-95CA-AB11F07B057B.jpeg
    9EEF6788-88BE-414E-95CA-AB11F07B057B.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 48
And crisco....

Back