Trailer: Karavan vs Phoenix

kkitowski

Reaction score
So my dealer just called and said that my new 2574 GCWB will be here in the next couple days.  Awesome!!

BUT, they said that there was an issue with the Phoenix bunk trailer they ordered for it.  That won't come in until early July. 

BUT, they said they can get a Karavan bunk trailer, basically the same setup as the other one. 

Does anyone have any opinion or experience as to better quality trailer brands, etc?  Should I be concerned about switching from their first option to a 2nd option trailer?

I need to give them a decision today, so any opinions offered quickly would be great.

Well, as long as it is rated for the same weight, has a comperable warranty, etc, i think you would be OK.

But, i am not familiar with either brand, so i can't speak of any quality differences.......

I had a Karavan trailer under my first toon and I totalled it on a short boat ramp during the first year of boating "Long story" and bought a Shorelandr' for the second one, I look at trailers a lot and still find the Karavans to be a cheaply made trailer compared to other brands. I can not comment on the Phoenix as I have not seen one.

I recommend whatever you go with that it have at minimum 13 inch tires and rims preferably 14 inch, "stay away from the 10 and 12 inch size tires if you trailer any distance regularly as I do with 10 inch tires, even running E rated tires and I still lose at least 2 tires a season", then led lights and disc brakes on both axles, both of my trailers have or had drum brakes and they are a pain to keep adjusted all the time or they start chattering from the rust that develops in the drum at times.

Good point on the tire size, lights and brakes.  I am finding out if there is anything smaller like that, that ultimately is a larger difference. 

I am leaning towards letting them go with Karavan, as I don't want to delay the order, but the gut feeling I had was the Karavan was a cheaper version..... just haven't had experience with either to be honest. 

I bought my trailer from a different dealer than the boat, don't let that be your hold up on trailer shopping, definately look around at different pontoon dealers to see what they have in stock before buying from the current dealers offerings, heck another dealer may have a nicer trailer in stock and ready to go.

I had a 1994 Karavan trailer duel axle for my 26' cruiser. I thought it was built well. I owned it for 11 years with no problems. Though I cannot comment on there pontoon trailers. Shop around and compare prices apples to apples. I would also recommend the larger tires (RADIAL) and electric brakes. Good luck.

I'm not sure where you're located but I bought mine from Paul at www.trailersforpontoons.com in Elkhart (near Bennington) and couldn't be happier with it. There was no wait at all. They configure it while you wait and you can drive it home cash and carry. I looked at Phoenix from my dealer and found the Mid-America I bought was more than comparable and much lower in price. Good luck!

We love our Mid America bunk (flote on) trailer from www.trailersforpontoons.com (Paul's Marine) out of Elkhart, IN. Same model PT24T asTomS has. My husband is especially impressed with the framing & cross members (sturdy, size, number of them) . We got the tri-toon pkg (comes with center plastic bunks, we added plastic bunks on the sides, deluxe winch stand,13D galvanized wheels ), disc brakes on all four wheels, spare tire & mount and load guides! All together it was around $3,500. AND they delivered it to us in SE Wisconsin for an added $200! (so much per mile one way). Our dealer quoted $4,100 for a Karavan and it didn't have any of the extra stuff! Paul's was so nice to work with too. Look at their website it's chock full of info! (PS: when the driver delivered the trailer it had a different kind of electric plug in thing (for the lights and such) and Paul actually mailed us one that would match our plug! Now that's service : ) No charge)

Good luck with your search

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell the dealer you will take delivery of the boat with the Karavan trailer but when the Pheonix trailer comes in you want to swap trailers at no charge.  If no deal, tell the dealer you will wait to take delivery of the boat until the Pheonix trailer comes in.  We are in the 3rd week of June.  This shouldn't be a big deal to a dealer.

I originally proposed that, however since boat, motor, trailers all go into loan and insurance, it's difficult to do.  I asked them today to see how they can get a Phoenix trailer for myself, even if I have to pay for the trailer with cash vs rolling into the loan. 

My dealer had both options as well but didn't give me the choice.  His words, "You are buying the Cadillac of boats, you want the Cadillac of trailers."  He didn't say the Karavan was bad, just that it wasn't even in the same class, being basically a bolt together trailer.  

McZiggy

What dealer did you use in WI?  I may call him and tell mine to deliver without trailer....

Thanks

McZiggy

What dealer did you use in WI? I may call him and tell mine to deliver without trailer....

Thanks
The Boat House Lake Country. Located in Nashotah. 40 min east of Madison.

We bought a Load Rite Elite trailer new when we bought our Bennington 3 years ago and absolutley love it.

gallery_300_298_4339036.png

gallery_300_298_5067263.png

What I do not like and could not live without is the front boarding ladder platform my Shorelandr' trailer has, very handy and makes loading and unloading supplies onto the toon and working on it a breeze.

I do like the looks of the load rite trailer too except for the lack of boarding platform ladder. My next one is going to be a galvanized salt water trailer with tandem axle disc brakes and 13 inch wheels.

Keith what kind of guides are those on your trailer and did you add them or did they come on the trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not lacking it....it's right there in the front.  Those two steps....plus that large 'arm' to hold on to as you walk up it....gets you right up to the bow of your pontoon boat. 

They came with the trailer.  They were an option (can order just 2 or 4) but were from the actual trailer manufacturer.  I ordered them ahead of time as I did the full sized spare tire as well.  All 4 wheels have disc brakes and it's a surge brake system.  Works perfectly.  When you put your vehicle in reverse it sends a signal to the trailer to disengage the surge brake system but you can manually override this as well.

Looks like the dealer came through, and will provide a trailer if the Phoenix doesn't arrive soon enough, and then swap to the final one when it arrives.  I like that a lot better from reading up on them. 

Pick up the boat Wed or Thur this week!

Back