Trailer tires

Mel

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2275 and it is at my dealers for service, got to thinking about the tires that are probley 10 years old. Dealer is 30 miles away and YERY busy. Hate to bother him now but think I may need to replace the tires. They have plenty of tread and look OK, but I will be doing a lot of traveling with the boat. Would like to price tires and order while it is in the shop for about 2 weeks. Any help? Thanks, Mel

My dual axle trailer came with 13 inch C range trailer tires. Haven't had any problems with them but only have about 1300 miles on them in first year. Dont know that much about them but from what I read on forums, it sounds like many people change trailer tires about every 5 or 6 years with normal use. Guess a lot of factors affect them like sitting still for extended periods, UV damage from sun, etc.

Suggest you do a search on the "iBoats" website.

Last edited by a moderator:
One tip I tell everyone and the biggest factor to any tire failing is "Under Inflation" Under inflated tires will run a lot hotter than a properly inflated tire and heat generated from flexing sidewalls is what causes premature tire failure.

Best thing for maximum trailer tire life is to inflate them to near max load inflation specification stamped right on the tire side wall. I generally run about 5 psi under max inflation to compensate for ambient temperature fluxtuations which will directly affect tire pressure.

From my experience in the transportation industry, tires do have a shelf life. The major manufacturers have a longer life than your cheaper tires. Even though the tire has plenty of tread left, it still will fail due to age. If it were my trailer, I would definatley change out 10 year old tires. In truck tires you can expect 8 to 10 years from your major brands and only 4 to 5 from your cheaper brands.

Thanks for each one of you replying. Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy all new tires. Have been on the side of the road several times in my boating life and that is no fun. Any one have a sugestion on the best deals. Checked Overtons cataloge and for tire and wheel there price was 129.00 for the commond size. Thanks again, Mel

I would go to your favorite local tire shop and buy their best 10 ply load range E tires and keep em aired up to near the rated max load pressure. That way you have a place to go if there are issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned the hard way that lots of tread/good looking OLD tires can give you heartache. I had a 11 year old Goodyear that looked new separate the tread and leave black marks on the side of my Baja. Luckily that S**t buffed out, but the point is my trailer had always been stored inside, even during the summer, and there was no indication of impending failure. My 10 yr old waverunner trailer tire chunked a section of tread out this summer when coming home empty, so for me, no more 10yr old trailer tires.

PS: A place like Discount Tire can set you up with brand name tires, and lifetime warranty them also. You are not sure what you are going to get, nor the warranty on tires from an online parts retailer. Just my experiance.

Back