Trailering and spinning prop

Jimmyd

Reaction score
I am wondering what fellow members do to eliminate the prop from spinning as they trailer their boat?  I expect having it spinning will do some damage to the impeller?  Would putting the motor in gear eliminate this?  Input as always is appreciated!

The spinning prop shouldn't hurt a thing, it's just giving itself an oil bath. If it had a pressurized oil system(separate oil reservoir/oil pump) it'd be a different story. Just my 2 cents!

Just put a piece of duct tape on it to prevent it from spinning......

Yeah, the impeller is driven from above the point where your engagement for the prop shaft takes place, It has to be driven even when in neutral.  Also, I don't think the air flow would have enough power to overcome the resistance of the impeller blades dragging on the pump casing.

Leave it alone, it looks cool.  :)

I put mine in gear to stop the spinning. Not sure how true it is, but most of the service people I have ever dealt with have said they are not made to spin out of water, so just put it in gear when trailering. So that is what I have always done.

Thanks all for the replies. Duct tape right up my alley!

Bungie cord would be easier ;-)

I do like clrd does. I put it in gear and the prop will not spin. If you try to put it in gear and it won't go easily, don't force it. Just walk to the back turn the prop a little and try to put it in gear again. It might take a couple of times, but it should slip in easily when it in the right position. 

Back