Transducer mounting issue

mtudb24

Reaction score
Well, everything is bound to have some issues / problems. Noticed as we left the dock for walleye fishing this morning, a lound banging took place as I tried to jump on plane. Thought maybe kids left ladder down. Checked it. Nope. Tried. Throttling up again. Same banging noise. Looked over Starboard tube and transducer was bouncing around. Evidently both screws let loose at once. I don't want to take it out if the water just to put 2 more screws in. The holes are there. Judging by the size of the holes, I'd say they are #10 or #12 screws

I had 2 large zip ties on board and got it working again, but it's a temporary fix

todd

Todd,

Not an uncommon mounting method from what I've seen. I recently replaced the in-dash Garmin with Lowrance HDS-5 and Structure Scan. When I mounted the transducers, used #10 bolts with a nylok nut. Mounting with screws might work in many applications but not such good idea with aluminum. The thread surface is too small for long term retention. Find a quality hardware store and ask for stainless steel bolts preferable 316 grade and take a magnet with you. The magnet is used to check for any excessive iron content in the stainless.

Good luck

Dan

Transducers are a dealer-install part because of potential shipping damage. We'll review our installation instructions/kitted parts. Thanks for the heads up. TB

Todd, Dan is right, most barges, of any make , have sheet metal screws used to mount things. Like him , I changed all mine to stainless steel and through-bolted them. 10-32 is a good size to use and easy to find. Home Depot and Lowe's both have good s.s. selections. They also have a good selection of quick-links, snap-swivels, etc. in s.s.

Thanks guys. Gonna make my repairs this coming weekend with bolts and nuts. Stainless steel of course

thanks again

Todd

TB found that the installation kit comes directly from Garmin and includes screws. When we install transducers at the plant for demos, test boats, shows, etc, we through-bolt. :)

Thank you TB for the follow up. I will thru bolt it this weekend. I just hope that the intermittent readouts is because it's not perfectly tight with the zip ties and that the transducer didn't get busted when it bounced around.

Thanks again for talking the replies

Todd

Back