Transducer Success!

Michiman

Reaction score
My boat came with a Garmin Echo 101 and would freeze up when exceeding 12 to 14 MPH. Both Garmin and my dealer told me that there was nothing that could be done to improve its functionality but based upon comments made on this site, I thought I'd try to make some adjustments myself.

Because my boat sits in the water all season, my window was rather narrow so I showed up at my dealer a bit early (they deliver from storage to water) to see what my options might be. As I was playing around with the transducer, my driver came up and asked if he could help. I explained the situation so he came back with a drill and proceeded to move the transducer mount from the center of the port tune approximately an inch further outboard and about a 1/2" lower. With the change, part (not all) of the transducer is now slightly lower than the toon.

Not sure of what, if anything, would change, we splashed the boat and I took off across the lake at roughly 5000 RPM (my speedometer now isn't working) and was pleasantly surprised to look down and see my Garmin actually working!

So, for those of you suffering similar problems, I think this might help you out as well.

Nice! Glad you were able to put the advice into practice with such good results.

As you know, we use the same dealer, and they’ve told me the same thing: nothing can be done about it. I was thinking of trying this advice too.

Maybe this summer we can connect on the lake/our cottage. I can grill something up for us, or we can share a beer, and you can let me check out how they moved it so I can get pictures and take it into the dealer for some “show and tell” & adjustment.

Sounds like a plan! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture before we splashed it but basically we moved the mounting bracket "right hole" over to line up with the "left hole" (about an 1" to 1 1/2") and then drilled two new holes about a 1/2" below the original alignment. Really nothing dramatic, but it seems to have done the trick!

I had same problem on my previous Bennington. Garmon Echo 101 stopped working around 10-12mph. I lowered transducer and problem solved. In the pic below the two holes are where it was mounted prior to me lowering it. No comments about the dirty toons:)...this pic was taken the day I sold the boat.

I moved mine down (but not quite that far) and out. Looks like there is a wide range that solves that problem.

I guess it's a trade-off.

If you have a lot of debris on your lake, it's bound to get hit. Not saying it will break, but you know what I mean.

If you mount it up higher, it won't work at speed, but it will when you are stopped and are fishing, which is what a lot of people use them for.

Just pointing out the option.

Absolutely a trade off and not a good idea in all situations. Fortunately, we have little debris in our lake and with it hanging down below the toon no more than a 1/2", I'm willing to take my chances. I don't beach either, so that's in my favor as well. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Back