Transom tie down straps

Toonafish

Reaction score
I'm picking up my 2012 24 SFI on Saturday, the dealer tells me that the transom tie down straps are not part of the deal and that I will have to purchase a set if I feel they are needed.

I think this is a legal issue with the highwway patrol, I had the understanding that anything on a trailer needs to be strapped down, boat, wood, etc. I would think after spending $30,000 on a boat they could throw in a $30 set of straps.

Has anyone else ran into this situation, or do you need transom straps? my motto is better safe than sorry.

You need to check the laws in your state to find out how trailer loads need to be secured and if it pertains to boats as well. Anything not part of the boat is always extra and after the deal will usually be your responsibility. I always ask for extras throw ins after the deal is struck and just before the papers are signed. ;) I just use 2" high weight rated ratchet straps and tie down all 4 corners. I think I paid 20 bucks for a packet of 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to check the laws in your state to find out how trailer loads need to be secured and if it pertains to boats as well. Anything not part of the boat is always extra and after the deal will usually be your responsibility. I always ask for extras throw ins after the deal is struck and just before the papers are signed. ;) I just use 2" high weight rated ratchet straps and tie down all 4 corners. I think I paid 20 bucks for a packet of 4.
The state is Kansas, I know police in the city will pull you over if you have anything on a trailer or in your truck bed that will come out or fall off in an accident, and will not hesitate to write you a ticket if its not tied down, this Is the same city I have to drive through each time I want to use my boat. its not a matter of the dollar figure its just the principal.

I'm curious if anyone runs without tie downs?

Hey Toonafish - There was a discussion of this issue on some forum recently (can't remember which one) but the consensus was that regardless of State laws, it was more prudent to have tiedown straps.

I suggest you go with your gut feeling "better safe than sorry".

The minority explanations for why they were not really necessary was that the boat/motor weight keeps it staying on the trailer. This included some guy's story of how he never had a problem in 20 years of trailering without straps.

The majority explanations included comments like why does every truck you see on the highway carrying goods and equipment have the stuff straped down and what would happen if you drive over a pothole or a curb causing everything to bounce up and down - is there a guarantee that everything (your boat) is going to settle back into its original position?

Anyway I suggest you get and use them regardless. (Even though it does sort of suck that the dealer won't spring for them - when I picked my boat up they were already on the trailer plus I didn't have the lighting connection cable from my truck to the trailer so he gave me one of them too.)

Amazing.....Your dealer isn't throwing in $30 of straps for a $30k boat? My dealer slapped them on with out question after our orientation cruise. I'm glad he did. I didn't think to ask. I am sure it is manditory here in Texas!

Will

My dealer originally said that they weren't included as well, but as I picked up a few other accessories, she said sure we'll throw those in too, plus it has their company name embroidered on them so it's good for them too.

As for not tieing it down, I would never leave it not strapped down. Was the fella who had been "towing for 20 years and never have" towing a pontoon? Because if you did hit a big bump and the toons got up on the bunks, might be a little interesting. I think more of the "what ifs?" like what if you blow a tire and the trailer starts swaying around? If you had a trailer that has weight that can shift, you could be in some trouble! For me, I usually go boating in a national park which has a fair amount of wildlife and it makes me feel more secure, knowing that my payload is secure, if I have to do some accident avoidance with a MOOSE! Haha just my thoughts though.

My vote/.2 cents is to lock'er down! I agree they should have provided them! My dealer didn't either... and said I didn't need them... (blah blah blah...) :p

Here's a link to the previous post: tie downs

I don't remember what kind of boat the guy was trailering without tiedown straps for 20 years. But its like any accident issue; afterwards a prudent person is going to be thinking "what could I have done differently" - saying "I wish I had ..." after the fact is futile.

Anyway, after about three months of using the tiedown straps I was given, I bought the "BoatBuckle" brand for about $75.00. I know they seem expensive but the whole process is so much easier now especially in the 105 degree heat after a day on the lake!

PS - Bulldog - I love the picture of your dog (from behind with its ears out in the wind) - I think you should consider it for your avatar since it will eventually get bumped off the homepage.

Same issue with my dealer. I bought my straps somwhere else. I will not buy anything from him if I can find it elsewhere.

Geez you would think these guys would learn.

Safety, Safety, Saftey..... It's not just YOUR boat we're talking about, it is every other person and vehicle you encounter on your voyage. If your boat comes loose and causes property and/or personal harm, how are you going to feel about that? Sorry to sound nagging, but i work with vehicle safety on a daily basis, and know what the concequences can be. TIE IT DOWN!!!!!

PS - Bulldog - I love the picture of your dog (from behind with its ears out in the wind) - I think you should consider it for your avatar since it will eventually get bumped off the homepage.
Haha, thanks Friar! Too bad they didn't have just a little gallery/photo for each member (Facebook style) for each member, I guess I'll have to just change it up every once and a while! It's amazing how many pics I have of my dogs doing that! They love to stand and watch where we are going, and I never get sick of snapping pics of it!! Cracks me up every time!

Derrick

Check out Bjammin's dog flying through the air off the end of the dock. You will like that one as well. Great pic. Potential photo contest winner, if you ask me.

I will see if posting a link works...

I have straps in the back, and I also put straps in the front just in case. If I had a big enough bungie I would wrap it around the boat a few times. :)

Back