Tried & True Methods For Rodent Control During Storage

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
Looking to my fellow Bennington owners to learn of their tried and true methods to prevent rodents from taking refuge in your boat during winter storage. I've seen rodent bags at my local Bennington service center and did a search on Amazon for other products with mixed reviews. Going to be putting my boat away within the next month and would love to know what others have done. Thanks in-advance!

Dryer Sheets and Moth Ball's

Dryer sheets, lots and lots of them

Just like Jack, Lakeliving, and Link I used dryer sheets and mothballs. I would put the dryer sheets all over the boat and I had 4 foil pans of mothballs placed strategically around the boat. One by the bow door, stern door, side door and right in the middle of the floor. I also put a container of Damp rid in each pan to soak up excess moisture while in storage......

Looking to my fellow Bennington owners to learn of their tried and true methods to prevent rodents from taking refuge in your boat during winter storage. I've seen rodent bags at my local Bennington service center and did a search on Amazon for other products with mixed reviews. Going to be putting my boat away within the next month and would love to know what others have done. Thanks in-advance!
I have always done moth balls put a hand full on a dish or in a cup one towards the front and one towards the back sitting on the floor. I have also heard of bar soap working I have never tried it but same concept as with the moth balls. You will not have the moth ball odor the following season when you go to uncover unless you place them in one of your compartment like I did one season never again hahaha.

Another vote for moth balls here. I had squirrels get into my bass boat in a boat stall right beside my Bennington. Had moth balls in the Bennington and not in the bass boat. Bennington wasn't touched. Now I have moth balls in both. Lesson learned for me.

Another vote for moth balls here. I had squirrels get into my bass boat in a boat stall right beside my Bennington. Had moth balls in the Bennington and not in the bass boat. Bennington wasn't touched. Now I have moth balls in both. Lesson learned for me.
How long does it take to get rid of the smell in the spring. What’s the best way to take care of it?

I have 5 plastic containers with moth balls that i position around the boat before I cover it.
when I take the cover off the smell is strong. By the time I fold the cover, put the lids on all 5 container and put them up, the smell is almost gone

Back