Trim/Prop Depth

4gators

Reaction score
I have a new 24SLi, which we love. It has the 3rd tube with a four stroke Yamaha, 150hp. When setting the trim down, it is best to have it all the way down for speed and agility, or most of the way down? Right now, I have it just about the 1/4 level. Plus, how many hours should I run before opening the throttle to full speed?

Thanks!!!

Experiment. See what works best for you.

It helps to have a GPS speedometer, either built into the boat or hand-held.

I find that I get the best performance when my motor is trimmed up slightly. You will have to experiment to see what works best for you. As you trim your motor up you will reach a point where rpms will increase rapidly with no gain in speed at that point you will have trimmed up to far and you will need to decrease trim slightly. On my boat the best spot seems to be where my gage is showing trim at half up. Gages can be differant so yours may not be the same. I do find if I want to corner sharply I need to trim down some to keep the prop in clean water.

Steve

There are many factors such as # of passengers on your boat and where they are sitting. Try running at 3000 rpm and adjust your trim upward while watching your speedo. When your speed is no longer increasing, you've hit the sweet spot.

There are many factors such as # of passengers on your boat and where they are sitting. Try running at 3000 rpm and adjust your trim upward while watching your speedo. When your speed is no longer increasing, you've hit the sweet spot.
That's so true...took me awhile to find the correct trim and speed when I was loaded down with nine adults on board. I usually ride with only five and it's much easier to find the right spot. Water conditions also play a major role.

Back