Trimming issue

hgroshong

Reaction score
This might be a boat issue but I believe it’s in the motor, that’s why I’ll ask for some help. Have a 2014 Mercury Verado Pro 300 supercharged on our Bennington. We used our NEW/USED boat all weekend, got home Sunday and unhooked, cleaned it up, killed power. Came home after work on Monday and I heard a noise coming from the boat. The motor magically trimmed to the max bottom and was still running. I hit the trim up button on the motor and it stopped. Walked away and it trimmed all the way up on its own. As I tried to figure this out, it has did it numerous times. PLEASE HELP

Bad switch, either on the binnacle or the engine itself.

Course of action would be to inspect both for signs of water/shorting and clean an corrosion. Replace switch if necessary.

But if the battery switch was off then the tilt/trim shouldn't have any power??

Thanks for the input. I thought the same thing about the power….. after it happened I even jump in to check for sure. Like I said this is our New/Used boat. It has the older style Blue Sea charging system on it…. Battery 1 - off- battery 2 - battery 1&2, and it was off for sure. Just wondering myself if that’s not wired wrong as well. The boat came from a well known dealer that built and maintained for the previous owner, so I’d assume it’s right.

Last boat I owned was in 99. The technology is crazy looking back.

I have a 2015 with the same motor and had the same issue. We were eating on the boat and all of a sudden, the motor was moving up. Hit the switch and it stopped. Then when it did it again just shut off both batteries to make sure it wouldn't move again.

Since neither the trim switch on the throttle or the trim switch on the motor seemed activated, and no corrosion/shorting, etc., figured I'd start with the relays.

Replaced both relays for the trim system and it has been fine since.

Here is the part number, in case you want to try it, both are the same:
OEM Quicksilver Mercury Verado Relay Assembly, 882751A04, about $20 each.

Attachments

• IMG_6350.JPG
    IMG_6350.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6349.JPG
    IMG_6349.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
Back