Tritoon vs elliptical

jwilhelm

Reaction score
Hello to the group… I have owned tritoons, and pontoons. But the one boat i have yet to try is the Bennington 22 with lifting strakes and 115 horse 4 stroke. I like my tritoon. But i am ALL ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY! thats where the 115hp yama (or equivalent ) comes in. My tritoon gets 3.5-4mpg at 3000 rpm. I have the opportunity to buy an elliptical ben pontoon and was wondering the “cons”. My harbor (charlotte harbour) does get snotty with 3 foot waves sometimes… The Tritoon does pretty good. Performance and turning and skiers and such doesn’t matter to me. I always drive straight line. What are the cons of owning an elliptical 22 footer with no center tube? Thank you so much.

With the Elliptical you will get up on plane faster ,but an Elliptical will not bank in a turn .

I've owned both a yamaha 115 (on a 21ssrx) and a 150 (on a 22ssbxp). The 150 got better fuel economy. It used about 1 gallon per hour less fuel. I think it used around 4 gallons per hour on average for me. I don't have any experience with an elliptical. Both of theses boats were tritoons.

My 250 Verado burns 22-28 GPH WOT ( according to the Simrad ) ,depending on the exhaust settings .Needless to say I only run it wot about 10 minutes each time out .Its more cost effective than replacing plugs every year.

Storage is the biggest difference IMO - that center locker option in the tritoon holds quite a bit of stuff. Also at least from what I've seen (but could be wrong) the tritoon also allows for the upgraded fuel tank (45 of 50g depending on SPS or ESP) which can make life a lot easier if you're making long runs or if fueling is not conveneient.

Finally - from my seat of the pants feel -tritoons handle certain rough water a little better. Not based on any science but I just feel when quartering larger short-period waves, swell and wake the 3rd pontoon allows it to ride and cut through a little better and not roll as much.

If you do move to the elliptical I would definitely recommend that you buy the wavetamer under deck shield the entire length or you will notice a lot of pounding in Charlotte harbor. I have a 2017 24 SX Premium Swingback Tritons with a 200 Veradp Pro with under deck shield the full length and the ride is great. 3.5 mpg at 3500 rpm.

Last edited:
Isn’t that a bit slow?

Back