Trolling motor and docking in crowded marina

Dev75

Reaction score
NYS Finger Lakes Region - Skaneateles Lake
Here is my dilemma.  I am in a crowded marina with boats on mooring balls scattered around boat slips with little room to navigate and they do not allow for much of a straight approach to our slip.  Our slip has a cantilever boat lift that lifts under the deck of the boat which is nice but also somewhat of a challenge due to the fact that a straight shot approach is the best way to manage getting the pontoon in the clearing between the dock and 1st lift bar.  Add to this a decent cross wind and I am literally taking about 5-10 passes at docking my boat.  

I'm considering switching to one of the mooring balls but looking to work out the options before doing so.  

My question is - does anyone use their trolling motor to assist in docking their boat?  Would it help me in this situation?   

I had a similar challenge. (Very tight between docks). Finally I cam up with what worked for me. I'd get the boat close enough I could hop off and walk it into the slip and get it centered. One shot vs. the constant manuvering. Depending on the wind would determine which side I would hop off board or what angle I would bring her in at.

Scary to dock in tight spaces when not used to it.  A good friend of mine got his first ever boat, a pontoon and he bought a trailer at a large RV resort.  The marina there being short on space as the RV park grew had placed the docks tightly packed row after row.  Each row had fingers that held two boats per finger.  He had to drive in between the tight rows and literally had to make a 90 degree turn into his space.  When I went out on his boat and saw how difficult it was to dock I didn't offer to dock it for him.  He would make his kids dive off the boat and swim to the dock with the long dock lines and get pulled in.  After a while of being forced to make that 90 degree turn he was able to do so.  His secret was Practice, Practice, Practice.  Made me go back to my dock which I can come in straight and practice coming in at sharp angles.

There are side thrusters that can be added to a pontoon, I believe they are around $3000.  I would not give up the cantilevered space but would use an empty mooring ball and practice docking next to it.  I did so early-early morning and am now proud how I can dock my boat in most any situation

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that a trolling motor is your answer.

Assuming you are docking the boat by yourself (no one else available to help), that's going to be a lot of running forward and backward (between helm and trolling motor) trying to fit it into the slip.

My suggestion would be to have a long dock line handy and as you near the closest piling loop the line around the piling (loosely) to secure a single point, using it as a spring line - except you will continue to hold on to the line while standing at the helm - letting a little out or in as needed.  From there I would then manage the stern of the boat using the motor, while continuing to handle that dock line until you are in a position to secure the boat.  This should make the docking much more manageable.  

I find myself using a bit more throttle than I did in the bow rider and lots of steering wheel action when necessary, and that's just for general docking.  Good idea with the spring line TC.

I had a similar challenge. (Very tight between docks). Finally I cam up with what worked for me. I'd get the boat close enough I could hop off and walk it into the slip and get it centered. One shot vs. the constant manuvering. Depending on the wind would determine which side I would hop off board or what angle I would bring her in at.

I'm in much the same situation: tight marina with a long (28') boat. Most of my neighbors have smaller rigs and thus have little problem coming or going. Mine is another story. I just approach very slowly and then make a final turn toward my slip and cut the power. Like Rockie, when I get close, I jump/step onto the dock and guide her in the rest of the way. Hopefully this approach might help you as well! Good luck...

Great suggestions thanks guys!  TC - thanks for the pivot point concept.  I never thought of that and I think it will be the answer as the dock next to mine has a large boat and if I let my boat swing too far over my motor will hit their boat.  

So, if I understand correctly as I am pulling into the slip,  the front upright pole of the dock is on my port side so I toss a looped line over that so if/when the cross wind starts swinging me to the side I manage the pivot action with the motor to swing me into position?  Essentially, the dock pole takes the place of whoever might otherwise be on the dock holding the line for me..? 

Thanks again!

Great suggestions thanks guys!  TC - thanks for the pivot point concept.  I never thought of that and I think it will be the answer as the dock next to mine has a large boat and if I let my boat swing too far over my motor will hit their boat.  

So, if I understand correctly as I am pulling into the slip,  the front upright pole of the dock is on my port side so I toss a looped line over that so if/when the cross wind starts swinging me to the side I manage the pivot action with the motor to swing me into position?  Essentially, the dock pole takes the place of whoever might otherwise be on the dock holding the line for me..? 

Thanks again!

Yes, but I missed a step: tie the loop end of the dock line to your port-bow cleat first.  Standing at your port bow, loop a LONG dock line around that piling (just idle up to it slowly, and get the line looped, then walk back to the helm).   Hold on to the bitter end of the dock line to manage it around the piling.

Can you draw a picture and either scan it in or upload it as a photo that will give us a better understanding of what you're trying to do?  That would be EXTREMELY helpful.

We have plenty of room. The only problem is when it's windy and/or there is waves from the main channel from outside our cove. My wife gets us close to the edge of the slip and I hop off and pull us in........

Thanks again!

Dev, an additional docking strategy if the wind is preventing you from getting lined up with the slip:  

Scenario: You are approaching your slip, but the wind is blowing you to port.  Secure the port-bow line to the front piling on your port side as discussed before , leaving about 5-10' of line between the boat cleat and the piling.  With the line secured to your port-bow cleat and to the piling, turn your wheel all the way to the right, then slowly go in reverse at idle speed.  This will draw the line tight, while at the same time moving the stern of the boat to the right, allowing you align with the slip.  Then, once aligned, slowly idle forward into your slip, releasing the bow line as you enter the slip.

Thanks TC!  We are heading to a house on the same lake for the week which has a much more open boat slip between two piers.  It will give me an opportunity to practice those techniques.  Knowing my wife she will not pass up the opportunity to video the initial attempts, lol.  

Here is my dilemma.  I am in a crowded marina with boats on mooring balls scattered around boat slips with little room to navigate and they do not allow for much of a straight approach to our slip.  Our slip has a cantilever boat lift that lifts under the deck of the boat which is nice but also somewhat of a challenge due to the fact that a straight shot approach is the best way to manage getting the pontoon in the clearing between the dock and 1st lift bar.  Add to this a decent cross wind and I am literally taking about 5-10 passes at docking my boat.  

I'm considering switching to one of the mooring balls but looking to work out the options before doing so.  

My question is - does anyone use their trolling motor to assist in docking their boat?  Would it help me in this situation?   

Dev, I'm surely not a pro, but as Link stated, get in a place and practice turning on a dime. Back out with the motor turned one way. While it's still moving slightly backward in that same direction, put it in neutral while turning the wheel all the way to the other direction. You'll notice that the boat will pivot almost perfectly around while it stays in the one location. Of course, this also works while traveling forward. Moving forward very slowly, turn your wheel toward where you want to go, then when you start getting lined up, hit neutral, while turning your wheel to bring your stern around. It will turn on a dime and give you nine cents change back.

That's the best advice I learned from this forum. Turn your wheel while in neutral. Makes a huge difference parking. Also you can get a front corner to the dock and tie a rope at that corner turn the motor to the dock while your buddy holds it and back it in. I did this with the houseboat fighting some wind and work great.learned it on U S Boat how to park your boat good read. Good luck.

Like has been mentioned before several times.....practice practice practice.  Pick a low wind day and just try docking a few times to get the feel of what works and what doesn't at your dock.  Our marina is pretty tight between buildings (roughly 32 foot) and you add in the fact that not all boats fit inside the 26' slip (that's to the center of the walkway so maybe 24' in the slip).  Yes our boat hangs out the back a few feet but we do our best to make sure that we are pulled in as far as possible to allow our neighbors behind us in the other building some room (they also have a gsr2250).  

A quick video from last year (early april) as I was wearing a little of the wintertime rust off my docking skills at our docks.  Biggest thing is to take your time and go slow.  If it doesn't feel right simply pull back out and try the approach again (if you haven't ever done this before you've never docked a boat) till you find something that works.

Thanks again guys, been on the lake all week at a house with a perfect set up ... large wide dock with plenty of cleats.  Been practicing both tight manuevers and the pivot suggestion from TC.  Works great with both a rope and a docking hook.  

You picked a great week. I take it the dock isn't at/under water level? I have seen plenty of docks on Skan that have been overwhelmed by the high water level.

You picked a great week. I take it the dock isn't at/under water level? I have seen plenty of docks on Skan that have been overwhelmed by the high water level.

I was a little nervous about the weather but it turned out to be great week for us.  We did see a lot of docks under water on the south end of the lake.   I've really not seen a lake as clean and gorgeous as that lake.  Even with rain and mud runoff the water is beautiful.  

By any chance would you know who owns or maintains those boat garages on the water in the village?  Just wondering if they are purchased individually and ever go up for sale or if they are maintained/sold as an entire unit.  

No, I really don't know about the garages. You keep your boat at Seves? Not a lot of marina choices on this lake. I know that Skan Marina wants to put in a lot of new, floating slips, but not yet approved.

Yes, currently at Seveys.  I spoke to the folks at Skan marina after getting some gas during the week and they were telling me about their plan. Our current plan is to move to NC in near future which has put our temptations to purchase a lake house up here on hold.  My wife and I were looking at those garages and joked that it would be a nice happy medium if we could get our hands on one. 

Yes, currently at Seveys.  I spoke to the folks at Skan marina after getting some gas during the week and they were telling me about their plan. Our current plan is to move to NC in near future which has put our temptations to purchase a lake house up here on hold.  My wife and I were looking at those garages and joked that it would be a nice happy medium if we could get our hands on one. 

Where are you looking in NC? We have a great realtor friend here at the lake. Used her when house hunting in 2004 and have been good friends ever since. She's very knowledgeable of around the lake

Back