Trolling motor install questions

Bonin1f1

Reaction score
I am looking to add a trolling motor (Minnkota Ulterra 80lbs Riptide) to my 2375GCW. I want to use a quick release mount to be able to remove the trolling motor. If I install it front and center I believe it will have to be removed before putting the boat on the trailer, unless there was a mount that would slide the trolling motor back when stowed. If I install it on side of the front deck I was worried about it hitting the dock as I had to be able to dock on each side due to the very busy boat ramp.

Would a 54” shaft be fine or should I get the 60” shaft?

Where should I install the two batteries? I was thinking in the front port side seat base.
Anyone able to assist in this decision would be helpful.

My Minnkota is mounted in the center and I do have to remove the mounting plate to trailer the boat. Somebody mounted theirs at an angle to the front deck. The motor was inboard of the starboard toon and could lay down thru the bow gate.

I mounted an ulterra just off center a little on a quick release. I don't have to remove it to trailer my tritoon.IMG_20180318_130024.jpg

I put mine on right front. Does not stick inside like one pictured. Don't have to leave front gate open. I.m careful when putting in our lift (don't trailer). For me I wouldn't want it any other place.

I have mind in the center and on a quick release. Although I hardly every remove it and it works with no problem with my trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 64
You have probably already set up a trolling motor,if not you can look at my post “ trolling motor added” under options and upgrades

I have mine side mounted on a Shuttle Slide. When stowed, I can slide it back so that it doesn't stick out when docking. It has two thumb screws to deal with when I want to remove it. I only fish in the cold months. In the summertime, the family likes to hang out on the bow when anchored. So I'll just remove the trolling motor in the warm months and store it in garage.

I like this setup for several reasons. The stowed trolling motor is out of the way and doesn't interfere with the front seating area. There are occasional days in the winter where a warm front shows up and we like to take friends and family out for a cruise. And the trolling motor isn't in the way since it's outside the fencing. We also have a dog, so leaving the front gate open or using one of those half gates is a no-go when on the move. And when I remove the trolling motor for the summer season, the mount is off to the side and not right in the middle of the bow where kids like to jump into the water or sit.

I paid a professional company to do the install. They were not the cheapest, but their attention to deal was worth every penny. The plug for the trolling motor is in the front, but the dual trolling batteries for it were put in the opposite stern bench(port) and balance the weight of the dual house/starter batteries in the starboard rear bench. They also did a clean install of a Minn Kota Battery charger that tends to all 4 batteries.

I didn't want to add 150 lbs of batteries near the bow. The complexity of the install meant removing the aluminum panels underneath the deck to run the wires and riveting them back on. The cost of the install was as much as the trolling motor itself. But I'd rather cry once over the install cost, than be continually sad about any compromises made to an already expensive boat.

IMG_3666.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg
IMG_4579.jpeg

Last edited:
Back