Trolling Motor Recommendations for 188 SV Fishing Pontoon (18-ft; 8-ft narrow beam)

BoneAmie

Reaction score
Hi All,
Can someone please advise on a good Trolling motor for our pontoon, which we use for fishing?
Some questions include:
  • What length shaft for the trolling motor is best for this particular pontoon (188 SVF)?
  • Do you recommend electric or cable?
  • Any other suggestions?
Thanks, looking forward to any advice.
BA

Get a Ulterra 80 - 24 volt - with a 45 in. shaft. Plenty of power for all day, automatic stow and deploy with the push of a button, spot lock, and many other great features all of which can be handled by either the foot pedal or a remote. The Ulterra can be installed and removed with a MKA-21 quick-mount using a pin (lockable) and could be installed on the front deck depending on how wide the deck, through the front gate, or as someone on this forum adapted with a fitting off the bow (do a search). A little pricey but worth every penny! Also install a MK 2200 on-board charger and you're all set!

Thanks SLXGUY
The Ulterra is indeed pricey, but I like everything about it. I'll have to decide which features are most desirable. Some may be more than I need.

I have a 36v terrova on my 24’ boat with sps (tritoon). It will pull the boat along at 3.5mph so overkill for your size boat.

if it was me I’d go 24v but the main thing I couldn’t live without is the ipilot setup. Wireless remote and spot lock. Absolutely love it where I fish due to tidal changes and wind.

I have a 36v terrova on my 24’ boat with sps (tritoon). It will pull the boat along at 3.5mph so overkill for your size boat.

if it was me I’d go 24v but the main thing I couldn’t live without is the ipilot setup. Wireless remote and spot lock. Absolutely love it where I fish due to tidal changes and wind.
Thanks lakeliving. Thought I didn't need the remote and foot pedal would be fine, but starting to think it's the best way to go. I would use the spot lock all the time.

Thanks lakeliving. Thought I didn't need the remote and foot pedal would be fine, but starting to think it's the best way to go. I would use the spot lock all the time.
Here is something to consider as well, the spot lock feature will pin the bow down like it’s anchored. But depending on wind and current the aft will naturally drift around, so depending on what structure you are fishing you could end up having to fish from the back of the boat. Having the remote you can still move the boat without walking to the front to use the pedal. Also, the minn kotas with ipilot have a heading sensor as well which allows you to move in any direction in 5 foot increments. I use it all the time to get the boat situated. I couldn’t go back to not having it anymore.

Does anyone have the Minn Kota 24V Terrova 80 lb thrust with a 60" shaft? I have a 22SFX which should be plenty of power to move the pontoon.

Hi Mike. I have the 24 volt Terrova 80 lb thrust with the 60-inch shaft. Overall, it does a good job, although there are some days I wish I had splurged for the 36 volt model. But three batteries would use up a lot of storage space. The long shaft keeps the prop in the water and allows me to see which direction the motor is facing, but it is a nuisance to carry if you use a quick release bracket mounted on the bow like I do. I only use the i-pilot because I can move all around the boat while trolling for crappie. Avoid my initial mistake of purchasing cheap batteries. I later got some really good ones (extra-long, sorry I can't remember the series number or manufacturer but I will check those on my next trip up). I had one issue with the Terrova just after the warranty expired - - of course. Found a guy at Pickwick Lake that put a new board in it for a couple hundred bucks. Been running great the past 3 years now. Good luck and safe boating.

I have a 2021 LSAPG tri-toon coming soon. Northern WI by the U.P. I will be adding a Minn Kota Ulterra 36v 112/MSI w/ i-Pilot Link & Bluetooth (112 Lbs. Thrust). Not skimping on ease, power, and usability in connecting to Hummin Bird Solix and Talon 10' on stern. Using the privacy storage for batteries.
But undecided on the 60" or 72" Shaft? I am leaning towards the longer 72" as 60" seems short for a pontoon. Thoughts/recommendations?

I love my terrova with 36v power. I also have the 60” shaft and personally I wouldn’t want it shorter.

Here is something to consider as well, the spot lock feature will pin the bow down like it’s anchored. But depending on wind and current the aft will naturally drift around, so depending on what structure you are fishing you could end up having to fish from the back of the boat. Having the remote you can still move the boat without walking to the front to use the pedal. Also, the minn kotas with ipilot have a heading sensor as well which allows you to move in any direction in 5 foot increments. I use it all the time to get the boat situated. I couldn’t go back to not having it anymore.
Hi Lakeliving, We purchased the Terrova 12V with iPilot. Someday when I can get back to Canada and use our boat I'll post an update on how it worked out. Thanks for your advice!

Back