Trolling Motor

txflash

Reaction score
I am looking to installing a trolling motor on my 20 ft Bennington Pontoon and asking how much thrust do I need in the motor?

Thanks

Tx Flash

txflash

I have a 24' SF 2012 I have a 70lb or 75lb thrust, seems to pull me around just fine.

The next question you need to ask is do you have room for two batteries, you can go up to 55lb thrust with 12 volts anything higher and you will need 24 volts.

I was told by numerous people to go with the 24 volt, or anything over the 55lb thrust

My two batteries are under the console seat or just in front of the console itself.

Hope this helps if not ask more questions, More than happy to help.

Hi Toonafina

Thanks for the information I believe I will go with the 55 lb thrust since most of the time it is me, the wife and 2 dogs.

Thanks Again

Tx Flash

txflash

I have a 24' SF 2012 I have a 70lb or 75lb thrust, seems to pull me around just fine.

The next question you need to ask is do you have room for two batteries, you can go up to 55lb thrust with 12 volts anything higher and you will need 24 volts.

I was told by numerous people to go with the 24 volt, or anything over the 55lb thrust

My two batteries are under the console seat or just in front of the console itself.

Hope this helps if not ask more questions, More than happy to help.

I was looking at a Lenco system that has a motor mounted on each pontoon. They use trim tabs and controls to have the motors steer the boat by going at different speeds or even reverse. Great for docking but expensive. (3K) I wonder if anyone has tried this type. Batteries and especially the heavy duty cables are expensive so you want to keep the batteries close to the motor.

Another type mounts on the outboard itself. Close to the battery for short cables. 85lb thrust, about 700 bucks.

I don't like the bow plate mounted type, always in the way.

I have a 2575RSI with a 135 Evinrude and haven't had it in the water yet. I want the trolling motor mainly for a backup if I have engine trouble.

All comments are welcome.

Reactions: cpl
Back