Twin Ellipticals vs. Tri -Toon

papajoe74

Reaction score
looking for performance comparisons between aa SPS TriToon and a twin Elliptical pontoon with streaks and wave shielding. Both have a 175 Yamaha. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

The twin elliptical will be faster, turn flat, and ride more level. The tritoon will corner "faster" by tilting, ride with the bow a bit higher, and will be slower due to drag /weight. The tritoon will have higher resale value, and will also be more expensive to purchase. All this assumes the same motor on both.

The twin elliptical will be faster, turn flat, and ride more level. The tritoon will corner "faster" by tilting, ride with the bow a bit higher, and will be slower due to drag /weight. The tritoon will have higher resale value, and will also be more expensive to purchase. All this assumes the same motor on both.
I will simply add to the above: the SPS will make sharper and easier turns as well due to its hull, whereas the twin ellipticals will be a little more buoyant (more shallow draft).

I cannot speak with complete certainty, but with a 175 Yamaha propped and mounted well, the SPS is probably solidly in the range of 37-40 mph at WOT (I have the SPS myself with a 200).

My total approximation is the twin ellipticals maybe 42-45 mph.

What is the max HP of a twin Elliptical? I did a sample build for a 22LSB and seemed to max out at 150.

SPS allows higher HP as well as in-floor storage and larger transom fuel tank. SPS may also have a higher capacity rating for persons/weight due to the additional buoyancy.

It's a high-cost upgrade for sure better suited to certain needs - determine your boating objectives first and the configuration should then be easy(er).

You will experience significantly less side to side rocking with the SPS when encountering waves compared to a 2 tube boat.
Unishot hit on re-sale value. That's correct. Even though the tubes are 32" ellipticals, many potential buyers aren't educated enough to realize much if any value over a standard 2 tube boat. That will be your challenge at re-sale time.

You will experience significantly less side to side rocking with the SPS when encountering waves compared to a 2 tube boat.
Unishot hit on re-sale value. That's correct. Even though the tubes are 32" ellipticals, many potential buyers aren't educated enough to realize much if any value over a standard 2 tube boat. That will be your challenge at re-sale time.
Agreed. There is something about looking at a boat from the bow and seeing three logs...

We have the 22' elliptical tubes and it is perfect for how we use it. Fishing in Canada with 8 -10 people on board and handles the 1-2' waves nicely. Cruising around our local lake with 6 people on board. The 1000lb of extra buoyance is nice for the amount of people we put on it.
The KY boat is the ESP tritoon and it is perfect for how we use it. Tubing for an hour and then floating for the rest of the day. It turns like a v hulled boat for water sports. They are totally different boats. Figure out your usage and that should direct your choice of toons. Our 22' with a 150 WOT is 39mph with a very comfortable ride.

Back