under skinning distance?

Bigtime57

Reaction score
I am currently under skinning my pontoon and have a question on how far back I should go ? I have it all the way back to the transom and was just wondering if everyone is taking it all the way back to the rear?

Attachments

• 274156324_382482203310815_9196081203788184154_n.jpg
    274156324_382482203310815_9196081203788184154_n.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I am currently under skinning my pontoon and have a question on how far back I should go ? I have it all the way back to the transom and was just wondering if everyone is taking it all the way back to the rear?
Yes. You want to go all the way back.

However, what you can get away with is not skinning the first few feet at the bow. Water wont get pushed up underneath the immediate front of the pontoon flooring. If you look at the normal factory underskinning, you‘ll see that the first approx. 3’ is not normally under-skinned.

Yes. You want to go all the way back.

However, what you can get away with is not skinning the first few feet at the bow. Water wont get pushed up underneath the immediate front of the pontoon flooring. If you look at the normal factory underskinning, you‘ll see that the first approx. 3’ is not normally under-skinned.
I did skip the first few sections...I started on the brace that has my tow hook and went back from there .....
I was thinking i needed to go all the way back just dreaded making a templet and cutting that out back there ...going to be interesting

Finish the entire boat! Front and all for a nice finished look!

I did mine completely. Even though I only boat on calm water I didn't like the thought of stuffing the bow through a wake and scooping water into an unskinned section, possibly tearing some panels loose. If you have the ability to diy this project yourself, why not do the whole thing? It's just one more panel.

I want to do mine. Where do you buy the aluminum sheet?
Thanks,
TT

I did mine completely. Even though I only boat on calm water I didn't like the thought of stuffing the bow through a wake and scooping water into an unskinned section, possibly tearing some panels loose. If you have the ability to diy this project yourself, why not do the whole thing? It's just one more panel.

I have done the floor by myself and just wanted to make sure everyone was going all the way back ..... just going to make a templet out of cardboard and transfer it to the aluminum sheet

I want to do mine. Where do you buy the aluminum sheet?
Thanks,
TT
I bought my sheets from a Steel mill here locally ...... the bad part is now its up to $135 a sheet 4x8 and last year it was $70 and it takes 3 sheets

I bought some imperfect sheets from a local recycler a few years ago that were considerably less expensive than new.

FINALLY got around to finishing up my under skinning and I have to say the back portion was the hardest part of the whole boat ..but very pleased at how it turned out ....now lets see some SUN!!

Attachments

• 277533345_695640791632309_194809326028225680_n.jpg
    277533345_695640791632309_194809326028225680_n.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 58
Any idea how much your fuel economy increased from the under skinning? We are considering it, but would like to get an idea of what kind of return to expect.

Thanks!

Any idea how much your fuel economy increased from the under skinning? We are considering it, but would like to get an idea of what kind of return to expect.

Thanks!
I think the greatest return will be in ride quality! No more surging or the water hitting the cross members impeding your flow! Not to mention water somehow making it through somehow getting your floor wet!

Back