Upgrade to 150hp

heatherj13w

Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading my engine from a 90 horsepower to a 150hp . I have a 2007 2275 Fsi super sport. With 25 inch tubes I have a Yamaha 90hp and I currently get 18 miles per hour at wot running at 6000 RPMs.  I'm thinking of going to an Evinrude 150 or possibly a Mercury 150. Curious if any of you guys know how much more speed I can get from going to a 150hp.  Trying to justify the 10K it would possibly cost to do this. What kind of speed are your getting out of two twin 25 with a 150? It kills me to read about all you guys having 30 plus miles per hour on your boat and I get 18. Lol. Thanks 

What max. HP is the boat rated for?

I doubt a 150 with 2 tubes. More like 115 and that jump is NOT worth the expense.

You should see over 30

If interested, you could add an express tube, but don't think that will net any extra mph. However the stability and added buoyancy is worth the expense.

If your only reason to go to the 150 is to increase your top speed you might be disappointed in the results depending on your current boat configuration.  With a standard 2 tube configuration without strakes it becomes more of a displacement hull (even though it's a pontoon) and simply plows through the water.  With lifting strakes or elipticals with strakes you have more of a planing hull (think skipping rock) that will get up out of the water and get on plane so to speak.  With the strakes and the 150 you will have a boat with 30+ capabilities.  Is it worth the $$$$ to do the 150 upgrade....that's your call.

For us with a 24 foot boat (tritoon with strakes) and the 150 we normally see right at 39-40 mph with full tank of fuel and 2 on board as well as our other boating stuff (cooler - beach towels - tube - safety gear and so on)

We have a 2007 2275rl with 3 tubes and strakes and a 150. The sticker that came with the boat said max HP is 175.

Good to know. Carry on.....

We have a 2007 2275rl with 3 tubes and strakes and a 150. The sticker that came with the boat said max HP is 175.

So Kinda of dumb question but what do lifting strakes look like back in 2007?  I dont have the triangular tubes on the inner or outer sides of my tubes.  But there is one that runs from front to back on the bottom of the tubes.  Is that considered lifting strakes?  Yep this is my first pontoon. LOL!

That is your "keel". Something solid for your tubes to rest on or to protect your pontoons on the bottom......

Thanks. So I guess I dont have lifting strakes.  So getting a 150hp probably won't really produce more speed for me.

I have the 20 slx with the Yam. 90, and get 27 - 28 MPH. I might be wrong, but I think my logs are 23". Is there that much difference in those two boats? Is yours loaded down to only get 18 MPH?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't invest in a 150 with your current configuration. At the end of the day you wouldn't be happy. My neighbor just got a new 21 ft S series benny with just two 25" toons and a 115. That thing plows through the water like crazy. night and day difference compared to our tri toon. Save the $10k and put it in your future boat fund.

I have a 24' ssrx with two 25" toons and the 150 yamaha motor.   I can hit about 32mph at top speed.  

I have the 20 slx with the Yam. 90, and get 27 - 28 MPH. I might be wrong, but I think my logs are 23". Is there that much difference in those two boats? Is yours loaded down to only get 18 MPH?

Yes 18 is the best. 2 people 2 coolers 3 small fat dogs and a half a tank.   Add 2 more people to that and a full tank and we only got 15mph. 

I'm running a 13P 4 blade SS prop on mine. What prop have you got?

It came with a 13k.  Wot @ 6000 18 mph gps.  I talk with a local prop shop he sold me a 13.5x15 in hopes of getting a little more speed. That was a $180 flop. It took me to 16 wot 4800 rpm.  I don't have a bennington dealer in utah anymore and the only outboard yamaha dealer is 200 miles away. I need to find someone that will let me try out props to find one that gives me some sort results without costing me $200 a try.  Or other options 10K for a new evinrude/merc repower ( because parts and service aren't readily available around here for Yamaha) 40k upgrade Atleast for a new boat. 

Sorry to hear about your troubles with getting the speed desired. I asked my dealer to allow me to try other props, but they told me they didn't have any loaner/extra props for that. :(

That's when I purchased the SS prop. It just happened to work out for me and my setup. I think the SS costs about $350, but at least it serves me, so it wasn't a flop like you stated about yours. 

We have a "prop shop" in our area that would most likely rent me a prop or two for tryouts, but I don't think I'm going to get any better performance than what I have now, so I'll just leave well enough alone. 

Back