Used Benny

They are battle scars. They add character.

Even if they were punctured, a good aluminum tig welder can fix them, but they do look like they are just superficial. The first dings are always the most painful ones. At least if you buy it, you won't be the one to cause the first scar. Buy it and enjoy it!!
Battle scars are signs that someone was having a good time. 

At least up until the scar occurred. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not if the price was reduced, but I'm a scratch and dent scrapper type of guy.

I have to ask why he didn't turn it into the insurance for repair ?

Not sure how that will affect you getting insurance for the boat with existing damage

For me insurance is required on this private lake 

No matter if boat is paid off or not 

I would look into it before buying 

Some companies may see damage as a potential problem and not cover 

Just a word of caution 

pittsburgh-skyline-tattoo-wallpaper-4.jpg

I don't want to speak for him, but I think I remember :wacko:  him saying the scars wouldn't cost that much to fix, and the dealer said the welder had a $500 minimum for aluminum repairs and the dealer said to wait until there were more to get his money's worth.   My guess is at the time, he listened to the dealer and didn't know he was going to sell.  I also assume his deductible is higher than this and selling it, you question whether repairing it; you might not want to bother.  You probably question whether fixing it is worth it.  I'm questioning it.   :huh:

The seller said he bought it new from the dealer last August and he seems just wanting to get out from under it (he said it was an impulse buy).  I would appreciate if someone confirming that this can definitely be repaired, because his problems will be my problems if I buy it and it cannot be repaired and how well (will it look repaired)?  He's supposed to take us out on it tomorrow so we can test drive it.

WDYT?

I think he said the damage wasn't considered that much.  I think it was the dealer who told him to hold off as this wasn't major and it will get more dinged up; I think the welders min charges are $500, and I think he said it was about $200 in damage if I remember right (I'm getting old).

My guess is his deductible is higher than this.

I think he just wants out of it.  He says it was an impulse buy.

I have a few questions:

1.  Is this fixable?

2.  Do you think these numbers are about right as far as repair?

3.  Anyone have this done, after the repair (assuming it can be), how does it look?  Before/after pictures???

I just want to do due diligence and not buy someone else's problems if they can't be resolved.

He's taking us on a test drive soon.

WDYT?

I had a toon replaced when I was hit in my slip .It was over $3500.00 

I think he said the damage wasn't considered that much.  I think it was the dealer who told him to hold off as this wasn't major and it will get more dinged up; I think the welders min charges are $500, and I think he said it was about $200 in damage if I remember right (I'm getting old).

My guess is his deductible is higher than this.

I think he just wants out of it.  He says it was an impulse buy.

I have a few questions:

1.  Is this fixable?

2.  Do you think these numbers are about right as far as repair?

3.  Anyone have this done, after the repair (assuming it can be), how does it look?  Before/after pictures???

I just want to do due diligence and not buy someone else's problems if they can't be resolved.

He's taking us on a test drive soon.

WDYT?
I'm very surprised it's that low, though without seeing it in person, it's hard to say. The dealer should know.

If it's really only $200, I would ask them to make it right before the sale and then verify it meets your expectations. Against the cost of the boat that's next to nothing to make the sale, especially given the apparent sense of urgency to move it.

Once again, Excellent advice TomS

Slyguy why don't you offer $200 more than the asking price saying you want the boat repaired prior to acceptance 

Didn't he say the aluminum welder had a $500.00 minimun ?

I am sure the dealer could work a deal with the welder for other work that will pop up during boating season that be worth him paying the other 300 up front. Always a need for a welder at a dealer/marina. Link thought is how I would go about it if you can't get the dealer to fix it on his cost. But in would be a deal breaker if the dealer doesn't support it.

There are a number of people who have had welding repairs done successfully, most often at a seam where a tiny leak is happening. I've seen damaged splash guards welded no issues also. There haven't been so many on the field of the aluminum where it may have weakened and/or pierced the tube so that's a case by case deal based on inspection by an expert. Skilled (local) aluminum welders can do wonders, just as they are at the factory. Other situations with more major damage had an entire tube replaced if it might be compromised. That's based on the judgement of the dealer and (usually) an insurance adjuster.

Didn't realize welders had "minimums". Had a splashguard repaired/welded this off season. About half of it became unattached from the inner port side tube. (Wife must have hit something. Ha!) $60 for the repair.

He took me on a ride.

The boat ran better than I thought.  We got up to @ 41mph with 5 people aboard.  Not sure about gear, think it was about 3/4 full tank.  I was surprised how quiet the engine was.  Very smooth.  No rattles.

Sounds like Congratulations are in order .

slyguy you are; so did you buy?  Is the dealer willing to do the repair prior to purchase or are you just going to buy and live with it?

Back