Vmax vs standard F series yamaha

The Yamaha 200 & 250 SHo are exactly the same motor minus a hotter tune and 250 requires 89 octane. Run 91 octane in both for prolonged periods at a high rate and i bet within 10 hrs running time they make the same power!
I just raced my neighbors Mercury V-8 23' Harris against my Bennington R23' and killed him! Both were 250 HP

I owned two 250 hp Yamahas. The first was the grey "Offshore" model and the second was the VF250 SHO. The grey one had a 3.3L block for which 250hp was the upper limit and the SHO had the 4.2L block. These two had different gear ratios so the grey one had a 19P prop and the SHO started with a 17P and ended with a 15P. The reason I had them change the prop was because the performance sucked on the SHO. It didn't even come close to the grey one with the 19P. With that boat I had a holeshot that tried to rip your arms off and a top speed of close to 49mph with one person on board and freshly cleaned toons. The SHO was hung on a boat that was a foot longer but I couldn't get out of the 30s with the 17p prop and only briefly saw the very low 40s with the 15P prop (once the toons got a couple of weeks worth of algae on them, it was back to the 30s for lil'ole me).

There could have been some other evil phenomenon at work here (mounting height, underestimating the extra weight 1 foot, etc.) but I was very unhappy with the performance of the RCW and I put the blame squarely on that SHO.

PS>>> The 3.3L engine I'm talking about above has been discontinued which is very unfortunate as it was a great engine. I believe the non SHO one the OP is referring to is also 4.2L and I don't have any first hand experience with that one.
That seems strange, I had the VF250 with the SSII prop 17 on my RCW Sport Tower with me and the Mrs, and a whole bunch of stereo gear and 4 batteries at 75lbs a piece and we were still 44.6. What length was the boat?

It was a 23RCW so a foot longer than your model.

Back