Warranty Work not right???

puck404

Reaction score
Quick question, my bennington had a leak in the pontoon so i took it to my dealer.  They identified the leak as a bad weld on the top of the pontoon which was covered by warranty, to fix this they:

A. Drilled a hole in the back of the pontoon to drain the water and filled the hole with epoxy

B. covered the leaking weld with epoxy

Has anyone ever had this done?  Does this seem like an appropriate way to fix a bad weld?

Absolutely not a good fix !  A bad weld can only be repaired with another bead of good weld.Hope your boat is still at the dealer and not in the water. The members with more knowledge on this topic will straighten your issue out. I'll be watching. Good Luck !

Why don't they have the hole they drilled and the bad weld..........Welded!!! Unless they have some new super duper epoxy product................ I would think a weld would be a better long term solution! 

Is this marina partnered with a Maaco body shop by chance? 

Epoxy might hold up better than gum. But in the end same result. No epoxy, no gum, same leak .Terrible of your dealer to pull that on you.

WELD IT!! No excuses except poor and lazy workmanship, if the factory wanted the dealers to use epoxy they'd use it themselves. Some jack wad put epoxy on my boat I'd back it into the showroom until they could figure out how to weld it! No door needed! :)  

Yep.  Needs to be welded.  No substitute.  As someone said: if the factory felt that epoxy would have been sufficient, they'd have glued it instead of welded it.

They welded it for a reason.  The dealer needs to do the same thing.

Reading your post again, you're talking about the hole that they drilled, right?  In BOTH cases, it needs to be welded.

Last edited by a moderator:
493ca1821603f27be341ee15ca77db46.gif

It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

oie_evildead6.gif

Is your boat still under warranty? If so I'd request the dealer get documented verification from Bennington that this is an acceptable fix.

Yes I would question that dealers  common sence if he was to do a repair like that and THINK it's ok.

Now i can totally understand it if you had a leak and the dealer was thinking OK let's do quicky and order a new pontoon OR find a qualified welder in the Aera and get this fixed the right way but the dealer wanted to get you back in the water asap so he did a bubble gum repair to get you out the door but if he was not thinking like that I would question all other work a dealer like that would be doing. 

Dealer have a real hard time finding true professional mechanics. It's a suck job if you ask me. If your real good mechanic come winter time most dealers can't afford to keep them employed so most of them have to find work and let's be honest what kind of person you think ends up working on your boat? 

I had a pin hole in a weld.

Drilled second hole to drain water, then had both welded shut by an aluminum welder. Bennington reimbursed me.  Had to go thru my dealer to get the approvals, but my dealer didn't have to do any work.  I found a local guy, took my boat there, had it welded, took boat back to marina. You could do the same thing.  Tell your dealer you prefer to have it welded, and you want them to get the approval from Bennington.

Did the dealer go back and get it welded?

Back