Washdown & Storage Question

No drain plug and the bilge pump gets "most" of the water out. In Kentucky, with the humidity we can get gallons of condensation in the storage. We only store hard objects, like skis. We also add a splash of shockwave when we are on the boat. We throw the cover and poles in when boating but that is usually just for a weekend.

Greg, there is a bilge pump about 15-18 inches from the back wall so it doesn't pump out all the water. You can remove the black shelves and you'll see it. Mine leaves a good gallon of water in it because of the poor placement of the bilge pump. No drain plug.

Try this---disconnect bilge pump discharge hose and pinch it off. If no water gets in, then you have found the culprit. As for poor bilge pump issues, I plan on using something like Arid bilge. Notice I said like it, cause its $800 so a cheaper alternative is Seaflo Dry bilge system, its around $150. Finally a DIY method is about $50. All three use a self-priming pump that is ok to run dry, a timer of some sort so the thing will turn on for a minute or two every couple of hours (or whatever you think you need) and the the water pickup is basically a sponge enclosed in a holder of some sort. It is not a bilge pump replacement but a device that will get all the water out except for a few drops. Look on you tube or google the brands, you should see a link to the DIY method there. I think I will probably go with the Seal system, when I get my boat.
Seems like a good, easy to execute hack! Plenty of youtube tutorials out there, indeed. I may give it a go. Thanks!

Never thought condensation alone could be the culprit but based on Remediation and SLXGUY's feedback it seems like a strong possibility.
We also only store hard objects. Additionally, I removed the mats that rest on top of the hard black plastic as they seems to trap a lot of moisture and were the main cause of the damp smell in the center toon.

Back