Water depth question...

RedViperinMD

Reaction score
About how much water does a 2275 RLCP draw? ESP tri-toon package and motor up (200 HP outboard). I have looked all over the place and I can't find the answer.

About how much water does a 2275 RLCP draw? ESP tri-toon package and motor up (200 HP outboard). I have looked all over the place and I can't find the answer.
Hello RedViper. If you go up to the top right search box and type in draft, you should see 4 or 5 times this has been discussed. On March 3, 2011 TB gave some general ideas on water depth when Butchkid asked about his 2575 QCW I/O. Gerry P.S. Even with water under you, I try and stay out of too shallow water, you never know what your motor can suck up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which outboard do you have? Reason why I ask is our mercury pro xs has the standard water inlets on the lower unit plus 2 more in the nose cone above the skeg. This allows us to run in shallow water while still keeping water pumping. Typically, I idle into about knee deep water, then shut the motor down so our young kids can swim and play in safety.

I measured the distance from my transponer to the bottom of my outboard. It came out to about 10 inches. This way I know to subtract 10 inches from the depth finder reading and I am left with my distance to the bottom. It is shallow here his year I needed to get an accurate measurement so as not to lose a prop. The actual draft varies depending on the riggng and the weight of the boat.

What depth finder do you have? All the ones I have seen or used have a keel offset. I have mine set at plus 1 foot. Most all garmin, humminbird, Lawrence, bottom line etc, have this feature in the set up menu.

Todd

Hello RedViper. If you go up to the top right search box and type in draft, you should see 4 or 5 times this has been discussed. On March 3, 2011 TB gave some general ideas on water depth when Butchkid asked about his 2575 QCW I/O. Gerry P.S. Even with water under you, I try and stay out of too shallow water, you never know what your motor can suck up.
Thanks to all. I don't know why I hadn't found those other threads, but the TB post in the "How Shallow" thread did the trick!

What depth finder do you have? All the ones I have seen or used have a keel offset. I have mine set at plus 1 foot. Most all garmin, humminbird, Lawrence, bottom line etc, have this feature in the set up menu.

Todd
I have a Garmin Fishfinder 90/140. It doesn't have the keel offset feature.

Back