water in pontoons

martyhss

Reaction score
How can I tell if I have water in my pontoons.The threaded plug covers a tiny hole, not big enough to get a tube in.

How can I tell if I have water in my pontoons.The threaded plug covers a tiny hole, not big enough to get a tube in.
Do you have a trailer…does it sit on a trailer when not in the water? If yes, easiest way is have someone pull ahead a few feet with it trailered and you standing back next to the pontoon. When they stop, listen for water sloshing around inside it.

If in the water, if it is “listing” differently to one side or the oher, or sitting lower than before, good chance it has water in it. In the end, they can pressure test it at pretty much any marine service department.

Good luck!!!

What about gas sloshing? How can you separate that noise, or is a not an issue?

stand next to the pontoon. Water sloshing around in a metal tube is very noticeable. (been there done that) The gas is in a plastic tank.

What about gas sloshing? How can you separate that noise, or is a not an issue?
The sloshing of water in the pontoon should be more distinctive. Can put your ear up to pontoon as well.

You don't need to be that close. I was standing maybe a couple feet away next to the toon toward the rear of the boat and it obvious were the sloshing was coming from.

Thanks all. Great points. I just came back from harbor freight with a mechanics stethoscope, I guess may not need it. I was planning on cutting a tennis ball in half or putting a cork on end of metal tube. I would drill a hole all the through cork. The half ball or cork would keep metal off of the toon and help sort it out. I guess it is not needed, so maybe I’ll play doctor.

Back