Water separator/ fuel filter locations???

elchaseo

Reaction score
Where do you guys have your water separators mounted? I live in Florida and use the boat in saltwater, but it seems like I'm changing fuel filters more than needed. Bought the boat back in Feb and it currently has 64 hours and 3 water separator filters under its belt. The reason I have changed them so often is because they rust pretty damn quick and I'd rather not pay to have the fuel system cleaned or replaced when filters are easily obtainable. The filter is located under the boat but in the forward part of the triangular transom (if that makes sense) and is constantly near or touching salt water and rusting the filter. Anything I can do to prevent this or change anything? I'll post up a couple pictures shortly. Thanks in advance

This filter has about 25-30 hours on it since I replaced it. I should add that the boat is always washed and flushed when we return but the location of the filter for a saltwater edition boat seems to be kinda crazy.

It's only surface rust so I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't change them so often. Maybe once a year.

I'm also in saltwater. And I change the filter once a year.The rust only looks bad,it would take more than a year to rust through the filter. But,if you would like to prolong the looks of the filter. Try clear coating the filter and top ring. Just don't paint the gasket.

Our fuel water filter like that is under the rear port lounger...not under the deck like yours.  We change out the filter once a year or roughly 100-125 hours.  

Ours is under the rear lounger seat section. Saltwater sure takes its toll on boats.

I agree with once a year, plus it looks easy to get to, dont make it harder.

Well that's a big relief, I just figured a filter was cheaper than fuel issues. Sorry for the dumb question but I do appreciate the help and advise!

Back