water spray guard

2fast4u

Reaction score
I have noticed that some water sprays up on my motor at top speed. I have noticed other brands of pontoon boats have a extra piece of metal added to each side of the center motor transom to deflect this spray back down . All the Benningtons I have seen do not have this on them. Most other brands have then on there. I was thinking of adding some to each side of the motor transom. Has anyone ever tried to add these to there pontoon? I have a 2010 Bennington 2 toon 22' Gl with a Yamaha 115 hp, Thanks

I've thought about doing that a million times, but never done anything... I'm interested in hearing what you are thinking.

There's a flat horizontal area on both sides of my motor pod where a long piece of metal, say 3x24", could be bolted such that 12 inches or so could extend out past the motor pod and deflect that spray. Or lake is dirty, and the water marks are tough to clean.

Last edited:
I've thought about doing that a million times, but never done anything... I'm interested in hearing what you are thinking.
I was thinking about taking some aluminum about .150 to .200 thick 10" X 40" and bending a 90* edge ( 1 1/2" ) on one side and bolting this bent edge to the motor transom pod with 3/8 stainless bolts and washers.

I want to follow this discussion. Very intrigued by the ideas above, and to hear if anyone has actually executed something similar.

I have the triangular pod with the fuel tank in it, so i wouldn't need something very long. I like the 90 degree bend idea for strength, but I'd have to mount that to the bottom side due to how my transom is. If I mounted something with a 90 degree bend on the top side, it would look like a tent and not lay flat.

I was thinking about NOT introducing any new seams from the overlap of metal surfaces on the water/bottom side of the boat due to the forces of the water spray. I don't want something I add to get ripped off and then hit the side of my motor at 40 mph. I also don't want it so long that turning the motor hits it. I also want to make sure no one gets hurt by it when they climb up the ladder.

I was thinking the new part would be completely mounted on the top side of the transom and extend back to deflect the spray. The only new surface that would show from the bottom of the boat would be a couple carriage style bolt heads.

How do you go about doing that bend in the aluminum?

You've got me excited to solve this headache!

Last edited:
I might have to search online to see how other manufacturers do this...

I just finished installing the second set of splash pans, the first was on my old Manatu, they do reduce the spray and with reduced turbulence helps with top speed. I used .100 sheet aluminum with pop rivets on my 19 Benny.

20200429_102836.jpg

After I put the Atlas jack plate on, the water was spraying forward 2' inside my center rear door when running between 20 & 30 MPH. I made splash guards out of 1/4" lexan to stop the water from spraying.

While I had the boat at a local welder for other work, I had him take my lexan guards and use them as pattern and make the splash guard out of aluminum. He used my piece of angle aluminum and made the rest. I wanted it removable. Each side can be removed by removing 1 screw and 3 bolts.

Splash Guard 1.jpg
Splash Guard 2.jpg

Back