Welcome Change in Laws

PartyBarge

Reaction score
Surface water temp here is now in the upper 70's and the boating season is well underway.

Unfortunately, that means surf boats (some of 26' and loaded to ~8000 pounds) are operating too. The good news is SC has new laws targeting improper boat operation.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/2022/mar/mar17-wake.php

Honestly, the larger wake/surf boats produce waves that can be damaging and lethal at a 1/4 mile. At least we have a step in the right direction that was years overdue.

There is a clear improvement in the situation here...hope it lasts. So far, there are fewer PWC's operating way too close to people too. Others may want to look at the new regs to make their inland waters safer and less destructive.

All in all, it's a pretty good day!

You can't fix stupid . My issue is at the sand bar when I try to wipe down the toons and some *** **** comes in hot less than 10 ft from me . We have a 100 ft law but if no one is there to enforce it. What good is it ? I bought a diver down bouy ,to try this year . I've seen jet skis fly through a marked swimming area too . I had a video of that one ,but you couldn't make out the registration #'s.

You can't fix stupid . My issue is at the sand bar when I try to wipe down the toons and some *** **** comes in hot less than 10 ft from me . We have a 100 ft law but if no one is there to enforce it. What good is it ? I bought a diver down bouy ,to try this year . I've seen jet skis fly through a marked swimming area too . I had a video of that one ,but you couldn't make out the registration #'s.
That's what irks me the most on the water. Somebody going through a No Wake zone at speed and not even realize they did something wrong or illegal!

Remains to be seen how people are notified of the new law and how it is enforced. As far as I know, there were no surfers near people or docks in this area this past weekend, that's an improvement! (200' for them when surfing) Although, there were plenty of boats/PWC's at speed inside the new 100' distance (many inside the old 50' too).

I cant stand wake surfing. Im sorry, but its a completely selfish form of entertainment on the lakes we all share. 1 wake surfing boat causes erosion damage to homeowners lots, damage to retaining walls, damage to boats, hazards to swimmers, etc. All this so one person can "hang 10". Ridiculous

Tennessee has similar rules going into effect on July 1, 2022.

Back