Wetsounds Amp on sale - HT-4

fastmnstealth

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crapo if I had a boat I'd be buying this!

Which is better...  this amp and old factory Sony, or new high powered Sony that others have recommended on this forum?  Either option is around $220.

Which is better...  this amp and old factory Sony, or new high powered Sony that others have recommended on this forum?  Either option is around $220.

I don't know the details of your existing deck, but I've got to believe it is decents with preamp outputs (RCA).  Regardless, this Amp would be a significant upgrade...over the high powered sony as well.  Install is more involved though.  Amps are pwr hungry and you need to run power and ground from batteries to your amp.  

Add this amp and the as-10 sub and you'll be rocking!  Not sure what speakers you have, but make sure you tune the amp power for them.

Stock Sony and stock Kicker speakers.

Stock Sony and stock Kicker speakers.

Probably a 17watt RMS/chan deck. The Amp is 110 @ 4ohms / channel.  There is a lot left on the table.  I believe the stock kickers are 65 watt.  You will never get that out of any single DIN deck.

Here's the Sony head unit others have talked about here.  I am not a Sony fan.  In my opinion, the only thing Sony was ever any good at was the Trinitron picture tube, but those days are long gone.  But, I value the opinion of those here on this forum, so I am willing to consider this Sony if Sony has finally gotten their act together.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MEX-XB100BT-Hi-Power-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00SCS26KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458823589&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mex+stereo

100W peak x 4 into 4 ohms.  40W RMS.  Plus the Sony head unit has bluetooth, usb, and a bunch of other stuff they had not thought of yet in 2010-ish.

My Kickers are the stock 4-ohm 6.5 inch (or 6.0 inch).  No plans to change those out or add a sub.  Just hoping for a decent amount of improvement for a modest amount of cash.

You'll get the best sound using an amp vs. the head unit.  I've had several Sony decks and never had any issue with any of them.  I'm not sure what the wattage rating is on the Kickers but if they are like a lot of speakers they want at least 50 watts to make them happy and a deck alone can't deliver that.  Having a good deck makes life simpler for some of the options you already listed (Bluetooth, USB) and it's especially nice if you use an IPOD and want to be able to control it off the deck and/or remotes.  It's really comes down to how you use your system and what you want out of it.  If you just casually listen to FM, a CD or your IPhone on Bluetooth and don't really need it to pound then getting the Sony deck would be fine for you.  If your more into music and want it to sound really nice then no doubt an amp will be required.  And of course adding a sub will fill the bottom in and take the lows out of the Kickers so they'd sound even better.

The Wet Sounds amp specs say it can run 2 ohm speakers...

Do you know if I could parallel my 4 Kickers into two pairs of 2 speakers, effectively making them 2 ohm loads, run those 4 speakers off of the 2 "front" channels, then bridge the other two "rear" channels and run a sub off those?  Or is that putting too much demand on the amp?  I assume the amp can be tuned (high pass and low pass) for that setup?

You can do that but you'd lose the ability to fade the speakers front and rear.  It's 2 ohm stable (most decent new amps are nowadays) so the amp can handle it but make sure and use the recommended power and ground cable size.  The specs say 2 ohm unbridged and 4 ohm bridged so you'd have to use a 4 ohm sub on the bridged channels getting only 150 watts to it.  The easiest way to fry that amp would be to use it at it's max potential but starve it for power.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wet Sounds amp specs say it can run 2 ohm speakers...

Do you know if I could parallel my 4 Kickers into two pairs of 2 speakers, effectively making them 2 ohm loads, run those 4 speakers off of the 2 "front" channels, then bridge the other two "rear" channels and run a sub off those?  Or is that putting too much demand on the amp?  I assume the amp can be tuned (high pass and low pass) for that setup?

https://wetsounds.com/media/products/manuals/Wet_Sounds_HT4_User_Manual.pdf

Yes, I believe that can be done, but should you?  The reason is, that the amp is only going to output 300watts in bridged mode (The HT AS-10 is 500 Watts).  If you went down this path, think you would only use 2 inputs then + sub.  Probably left and right.  You would then have two left speakers and two right speakers.  You wouldn't be able to fade front to back because you only have two channels.  The other two are bridged for the 4ohm sub (no support for 2ohm sub).

If you got an enclosed sub with built in amp, this wouldn't be a problem (run all 4 speakers with the 4 chan amp.  HT AS-10 is what Bennington was installing, but Wetsounds seems to have obsoleted it.  Not sure of the alternatives.

I can't find the fuse size or amp draw spec for this amp.  Does anyone know the answer to that question?

Back