What am I hearing here?

lakeliving

Reaction score
While adjusting the trim in the driveway I hear a ding/ringing sound. Everything feels tight so what could it be. Sounds like it is in the lower unit somewhere.

Yes, I hear it but have no idea

You need more blinker fluid...  ;)  

With the lower unit out of the water you're going to hear more stuff that you don't hear while in the water. Plus, I have Tinitus so I hear ringing all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that's coming from inside the motor? Sounds very out of place.

Wait... Where's your other hand?

The other hand is holding the phone Dan! Should I be worried? Boat ran fine last weekend. Think it could be from the prop lock? I torqued it to Yamaha spec. I even shifted into gear to see if it would go away. It did not.

Gear case full?

Put one hand on the prop lock or hold it steady some how (with the key??)  and then shake?

Think it could be from the prop lock? I torqued it to Yamaha spec. I even shifted into gear to see if it would go away. It did not.

Take lock prop off replace original nut - still hear it?

I did hold the prop lock while shaking and the sound is still there. I'm not big on pulling it off just yet as there is a locking nut that will get looser every time you pull it off and put it on.

Thanks guys. I'll check it again after I take it out next.

Do you consider changing the air in your tubes from the old Winter air to fresh Spring air??

Yeah I did that! You have an f200 swabber, does yours do this as well?

I would probably send that link to some of the bigger repair shops across the country with a good online presence and see if one of them responds to you. You can't be the first.

Are we 100% sure it isn't coming from something outside the motor? Obviously you can hear it better than us, but just thinking maybe something in the transom area, or maybe something on the trailer? Dunno, just seems like a metal on metal sound, but a thin, light type of object. Of course I'm listening to a video and can only hear out of one ear, so I may not be the best diagnostic tool on here!

I am with Derrick on this one, I do not have good hearing but it did sound like something else on the boat not related to the engine.

I can't hear anything in your video. But......................if you take a long screwdriver and place the handle to your ear and the blade on the lower unit, it will act like a stethoscope.

I guess I'll have the wife grab my lower unit to see what sounds can be made while she is shaking it around!

Back