What did you do to/for your Bennington, today?

I tore the carpet off my bunks recently and replaced it with PVC boards. Works awesome. I use the boat a couple times a week, and it's stored in a shed, so the carpet hasn't been dry since last winter. It was full of black nasty moldy stinky gooey gunk that I'm pretty sure was alive in one form or another. 10 million staples pulled and no tetanus shot. I'll post pics soon. My Benny loves it.

Hopefully you noticed I was flying my Bennington flag in the picture as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my salvaged 2275 in to have a leak repaired.  Coolest thing was that the welder pressurized the toon after the repair, heard a pop/bang and saw that the gnarly crinkle had mostly straightened out.  He took a hammer and lightly tapped around and now one can hardly see any damage at all.  I'll take it in come November and have him do the other toon that has a real bad crunch in it.  Will post before & after pics.

Great Information.

I tore the carpet off my bunks recently and replaced it with PVC boards. Works awesome. I use the boat a couple times a week, and it's stored in a shed, so the carpet hasn't been dry since last winter. It was full of black nasty moldy stinky gooey gunk that I'm pretty sure was alive in one form or another. 10 million staples pulled and no tetanus shot. I'll post pics soon. My Benny loves it.
Would love to see what you did, I want to get rid of my carpet also. Still debating what to use.

Kay thought about using PVC boards but I just bought 8-10 ft. 2x4's and 2-8 ft. 2x4's (SYP) and a roll of 12"x100 foot black trailer bunk carpet and finished the project a couple weeks ago. I'll take pics if I ever put my boat back in the water. It's on the trailer now because of the low water level in my cove........Just out of curiosity........if you were getting rid of the old boards and carpet.......why did you pull all of the staples off?!? The carpet on my boards were actually in good shape....a few of the boards were rotten and failing apart....

I replaced just the carpet. The bunk boards are still there. PVC boards would not hold the weight alone. They need the regular boards under them.

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/trim-boards/jain-americas-5-4-x-4-x-18-white-pvc-trim-boards/p-1738381-c-13411.htm?freeFormRowId=&tpt=5_en

Here is the PVC board I used. I bought them in 8 foot lengths, used a router to round off the edges, and used stainless steel screws, 2 per foot countersunk, to mount them to the bunk boards. The dock boys say it is so much easier to load onto the trailer because they are very slippery compared to carpet. Hard to get used to the white color. Not hard to get used to knowing I'll never have to mess with it again. Total cost was around $250.

All right ....didn't know they needed the regular boards underneath.

The first board I unbolted from the trailer I removed the 10000 staples holding the carpet on. I thought about reusing the carpet but figured if I was going to replace the boards I might as well replace the carpet too. So I unbolted the rest of the boards and threw 'em away...... so much easier than pulling those staples out!

If you notice the scrapes on the far left board...  There must be some slag on the bottom of my pontoon where the nose cone is welded on.  This is where all my carpet started ripping off the bunk before I replaced it all.  I thought it just wore out.  I may have to do a little grinding.  Not sure how to do that.  My grinder doesn't work under water.

If you notice the scrapes on the far left board...  There must be some slag on the bottom of my pontoon where the nose cone is welded on.  This is where all my carpet started ripping off the bunk before I replaced it all.  I thought it just wore out.  I may have to do a little grinding.  Not sure how to do that.  My grinder doesn't work under water.
Put the boat on the trailer.        :p

Try the grinder under water just one time, and see if you're right about it not working. Tell the wife to record it for us. :D

Mine should last a very, very long time, too. Mine has the PVC type cover over the treated boards.

You should be able to pick it off with your fingernail.

What would I do without you guys???

Lol.

I got mine back from the shop, yesterday. They replaced my prop shaft, and while I was at it, rather than putting another alum. prop on, I bit the bullet and went ahead with a SS prop. It looks "perty".   :D

I bought two small handy items;

1) a cell phone mount that looks very neat plus it puts my phone on the front of the helm so I can use it easily for checking speed, keeping the tunes tuned, and keeping the phone from just lying on the top of the helm

2) a plug in digital volt meter that plugs into the accessory plug right next to my phone mount. It also has a receptacle on the stem for charging devised such as iPad or phone.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ031KC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I got my side party lights installed, as well as my wake lights, as posted in another post, but this might revive this one.
I added the bow light bar under the boat, to add to my existing docking lights.

I also started working on the DIY trailer guides, yesterday (10/24/17). I'm adding the floating wheels to the rear trailer frame to keep the boat straight when loading up. I have the uprights installed, I now need to mount the small wheels to the top of the risers.

I also installed a light bar to the back of the trailer to aid in backing on dark evenings/nights.
My Garmin depth finder/fish finder didn't come with a protective cover, so I ordered and installed that.
I'm sure there's more, but can't think of them right now.

Back