What size seas do you dare go out in.

cyanarella

Reaction score
I have a 20SLX Triple and I am thinking about taking her out into the Saco Bay to watch the fire world at Old Orchard Beach. Showing 3FT seas. Would that worry any of you pontoon pirates?

I'll let the experts for that area answer if you should go or not. Personally I feel pontoons are only for lakes but that may be my false sense of security when I'm on a conventional boat (because I feel like I'm IN that type of boat whereas I'm ON a pontoon, if that makes sense).

However, if you do go, I would have every occupant wearing a vest and I would use the dead man engine kill switch like it's supposed to be used (clipped to yourself so if you fall of the boat, the engine stops). I would also file a "float plan" and/or let someone know you'll be out and when they should hear from you that you're back in.

One last thing . . . put your cell phone in a waterproof case that floats and tether it to yourself.

3' in a 20 seems a bit much. Might be un- pleasant just sitting there

Liquor up first and have a dd

2 foot waves are no fun. Can't imagine what 3 foot would be like. Even if you don't take a wave over the bow and damage the fence or gate, that can't be an enjoyable trip.

Let us know how it goes! Great advice by Nautical above. +1.

I also agree with Nautical and mattb makes a good point.

3 foot waves are scary and I cant imagine doing that at night much less the day. If try you must then at least make a test run during the day

Back