What suntan lotion to use

Timdelta

Reaction score
I see lots of info about not using spray or bronzer, but no one seems to say “use this one, no damage”
So what brand is recommended for the boat?
Thanks to everyone.
Tim with a Feb 11 build QFB.

We dont use suntan lotion .I use Banana Boat mineral sunscreen ,my wife uses Neutrogena sunscreen ( not sure which one ).
We sit on towels just in case . Most of the time its just My Wife and I .

But , no one , no body ,no how ,no way is allowed to use ANY type of spray .

Same for me. If you want to use spray it must be applied before going on the boat. No sprays allowed on the boat. Just in case someone is tempted. Towels on all of the seats also.

Use whatever suntan lotion, bronzer, or sunscreen you like, in my opinion. The Simtex seats are remarkably resilient and clean up with 303 multi surface cleaner, at least in my experience. If my wife and I or guests do need to use an aerosol sunscreen, we simply go to whichever corner of the boat the wind will take it away, or will spray it into our hands and apply it like a lotion. We always lay on towels when we are in our bathing suits, mostly because the vinyl gets hot and it’s more comfortable, plus we sweat with skin on Simtex. Not sure why this has been a major discussion among boat owners, same with the argument about red wine, Cheetos, Doritos and other food items. We have fun on the boat, eat and drink what we like, and clean up messes quickly. Not a big deal.
63D4C0B1-4EED-4983-8508-DE3EC4D73B82.jpeg

Last edited:
I see lots of info about not using spray or bronzer, but no one seems to say “use this one, no damage”
So what brand is recommended for the boat?
Thanks to everyone.
Tim with a Feb 11 build QFB.
As a Sailor I found that the only sunblock that did not cause staining on sails or the boat was the white kind, any brand, Any of the translucent or clear and caused brown stains. I always like the "No Ad" but it is no longer available. Also 15 or better.

Use whatever suntan lotion, bronzer, or sunscreen you like, in my opinion. The Simtex seats are remarkably resilient and clean up with 303 multi surface cleaner, at least in my experience. If my wife and I or guests do need to use an aerosol sunscreen, we simply go to whichever corner of the boat the wind will take it away, or will spray it into our hands and apply it like a lotion. We always lay on towels when we are in our bathing suits, mostly because the vinyl gets hot and it’s more comfortable, plus your sweat with skin on Simtex. Not sure why this has been a major discussion among boat owners, same with the argument about red wine, Cheetos, Doritos and other food items. We have fun on the boat, eat and drink what we like, and clean up messes quickly. Not a big deal.
View attachment 31713
Might give that 303 cleaner a try. Ive had great luck with TuffScuff for minor spider dropping poop stains, but noticed a few last time out that were damn stubborn and have a little stain left.

A fair number of people have had stains with sunscreen and seating, so I think you are wise to seek out some experienced advice. First year or two owners seem to be okay most of the time unless really negligent. The Semtex is great, but it’s not magical.

We are among the more cautious. We have a lake side home. If people want to eat, apply spray sunscreen, etc…they can do that at the cottage on the lakeside deck - unless paying for my boat. ;)

We do allow the white stile lotion sunscreen. My wife has a specific brand we buy and supply to guests for use on the boat. It has worked out well for us. I will update when I check with my wife about what kind/brand.

No foods/drinks/sunscreens that could stain are allowed on our boat. But we have the luxury of a large lakeside deck, so I don’t feel I am depriving friends and family of comfy spoiled lake enjoyment. If we were not lakeside, I would just try to manage those things cautiously because I can appreciate that is a different situation.

I prefer things neat and tidy anyway, so I am one that would always notice that “one spot”. Best for my attitude to have pro-active measures. Honestly, we‘ve never had a guest on the boat question or flinch when given a heads up when I let them know our boat care procedures.

I really appreciate the ones that answer the question. When I said suntan lotion, I misspoke or used it generically for any lotion or spray. I really am looking for sunblock brands that won’t be a pain or impossible to clean. I see that any spray is out of the list and think that even using spray prior to boat is maybe a bad idea. It looks like the mineral ones and maybe banana boat brand are the ones to have.

Viking staff and Jack M have stepped up to the plate for answers. Thanks guys. I’m on the water in Sarasota so block is a year round necessity and I will be supplying the only one allowed. Viking staff let me know what the wife says.

Viking staff and Jack M have stepped up to the plate for answers. Thanks guys. I’m on the water in Sarasota so block is a year round necessity and I will be supplying the only one allowed. Viking staff let me know what the wife says.
Okay... Here is our main kind. Wife says she has trouble finding it these days, so when she does, she buys it all up. Banana Boat Dry Balance. If you can get it, that is the best.
C7499CEA-ACEA-4F2E-86F8-0510DABEF42D.jpeg

When she cannot find it, she has used Hawaiian Tropics Sheer Touch. It has wokred and seems fine. I am just not personally sure I trust the Hawaiian Tropic as much as the Banana Boat.

Second Choice Option

However, both have been great options for us so far. Hope this helps.

Okay... Here is our main kind. Wife says she has trouble finding it these days, so when she does, she buys it all up. Banana Boat Dry Balance. If you can get it, that is the best.
View attachment 31718

Thanks for the suggestion on Banana Boat Dry Balance. I just ordered some, but looks like they are phasing it out and replacing it with Free as Air??

I'm tired of people using spray sunscreen and very oily sunscreens on and around my boat. So, I'll start saying use this or stay on the bank

It’s interesting to me that people have staining problems on the Semtex, we had our boat for two seasons and no stains anywhere, and trust me I’ve spilled stuff LOL. We soap and water to clean as per instructions and no problems

I have had no stains on simtex either, and I don't want any either. Nothing wrong with being cautious.

I’ve read that the below chemical reacts with iron in the water and that is what causes the stains. I just came from Walmart and they have a 30ft aisle, 5 ft high of sunscreen stuff and it is amazing how many have the chemical. I bought a Banana Boat baby one that doesn’t have it, but is still loaded with chemicals. I may put some on a white cloth and dip in the saltwater and see what happens.
“Most sunscreens contain a chemical called avobenzonewhich reacts with hard water and creates dark brown or rust-like stains that can be difficult to remove.”

Back