What temporary floor carpet/towel/anything will NOT get HOT during hot days on the water?

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Well gang,
Maybe this subject's been covered (no pun intended) before but, I didn't see any. We have a '15 RCL2550 with the Yamaha F-350, 350HP. It has Luxury Vinyl Flooring which, it a very, very nice floor. But, like many floorings, it get's INSANELY HOT here in Lake Havasu during our boating season. I don't mind a throw piece of carpet or something that maybe is *less hot* or doesn't get as hot as the flooring. I don't know if you boys and girls have the same kind of issue in the back eastern lakes and rivers but, here in the southwest of AZ, our sun COOKS and that means hot flooring. Do any of you recommend a specific brand, piece of temp flooring, toweling, something that can be thrown down for temp use? We've heard that just getting a towel wet might do the trick and, will use that if nothing else pops up. Thanks waaaaay in advance.
Scott
P.S. Attached are a couple of pics of our type flooring.

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 46
Well gang,
Maybe this subject's been covered (no pun intended) before but, I didn't see any. We have a '15 RCL2550 with the Yamaha F-350, 350HP. It has Luxury Vinyl Flooring which, it a very, very nice floor. But, like many floorings, it get's INSANELY HOT here in Lake Havasu during our boating season. I don't mind a throw piece of carpet or something that maybe is *less hot* or doesn't get as hot as the flooring. I don't know if you boys and girls have the same kind of issue in the back eastern lakes and rivers but, here in the southwest of AZ, our sun COOKS and that means hot flooring. Do any of you recommend a specific brand, piece of temp flooring, toweling, something that can be thrown down for temp use? We've heard that just getting a towel wet might do the trick and, will use that if nothing else pops up. Thanks waaaaay in advance.
Scott
P.S. Attached are a couple of pics of our type flooring.
Right - 110 is not that unusual here in Havasu. I understand this is the reason we are seeing the smooth timber looking vinyl floor being replaced with the sea-grass vinyl floor, but it appears per the pictures you have the sea grass already. Possibly we need to run a floor mister!?, or as you noted some throw mats - I will be following this post - will be looking for you this Summer! We are generally at the south end of the lake.

If you have the budget, SeaDek is the shizzle. My buddy has it on his extremely nice Cobalt, and it just doesn't get hot. I wish I could afford to put it on my Benny.

If you have the budget, SeaDek is the shizzle. My buddy has it on his extremely nice Cobalt, and it just doesn't get hot. I wish I could afford to put it on my Benny.
Well,
I'd never heard of it before so, I looked it up. I watched the video of all the dozen CEO's and Vice Presidents pat themselves on the back but, for the most part, in that entire video, they really never said what their product is or does. Yes, they say they use "foam" and lasers, and hot glue etc. But, they really never got down and dirty about their products and what kind of value they/or it, does and why someone needs it. So, I dug around on their website and found the FAQ section where I found this one:

Does SeaDek get hot?See More Icon
As with any flooring products, darker colors will naturally become warmer in the sun. With that being said, SeaDek will not become too hot to stand on, and dispels heat very quickly thanks to its closed-cell structure.

"SeaDek.....will not become too hot to stand on..." Well, All I can say is, I'd have to see it and feel it, UNDER MY FEET, IN OUR 95 degree and up days, to judge whether or not, it becomes "too hot" to stand on. 95 is what we had yesterday and today out in the sun and that flooring of ours got too hot to stand on for more than a few seconds. I don't mean to sound unappreciative of a suggestion, not at all. But, again, It's just that we've so far, not seen or experienced any flooring that does not get hot. I'd like to try some SeaDek, if I can get a sample of it and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion.
Scott

There's another brand of pontoon boat that has the Seadek flooring available near me. The sales manager told me although the flooring doesn't get hot their #1 complaint from customers who have it is....... That it's hard to keep clean! https://photos.app.goo.gl/WschrkFNM8W7PxQC8

We keep two runners in ours for when the summer heats up the vinyl flooring. We keep them rolled up and stored when not needed.

We keep two runners in ours for when the summer heats up the vinyl flooring. We keep them rolled up and stored when not needed.
Just wondering,
What are your runners made of? If carpet, what color and type, Berber, low cut, tall shag, what?

We took the boat out yesterday and, it was a warm but not overly hot day. But, that Seagrass Luxury Vinyl Flooring still got TOO HOT to keep your feet on for more than a few seconds, maybe around 5-10 or so. But, we too have a runner. It's a carpet one that's a bit tan/salt/pepper in color and it's a low pile carpet. While parked on a beach, I decided to simply wet it down with our front wash down I installed last year. I wet it pretty darn good. That made a SERIOUS difference in being able to walk and or stand in a given area without scorching your feet. The answer to this original question may be something as simple as doing just that, wetting down a carpeted runner or two. So far, so good.
Scott

Likely not something many people want to hear, but having marine carpet floors is not all bad. Our old carpet may not be the prettiest, but it doesn't transfer heat like a smoother surface.

Just wondering,
What are your runners made of? If carpet, what color and type, Berber, low cut, tall shag, what?

We took the boat out yesterday and, it was a warm but not overly hot day. But, that Seagrass Luxury Vinyl Flooring still got TOO HOT to keep your feet on for more than a few seconds, maybe around 5-10 or so. But, we too have a runner. It's a carpet one that's a bit tan/salt/pepper in color and it's a low pile carpet. While parked on a beach, I decided to simply wet it down with our front wash down I installed last year. I wet it pretty darn good. That made a SERIOUS difference in being able to walk and or stand in a given area without scorching your feet. The answer to this original question may be something as simple as doing just that, wetting down a carpeted runner or two. So far, so good.
Scott

They are 2’ x 6’ each (or just about any length you need or want) so they fit perfectly between the loungers and the bench seats; one for front and one for back. Got them at Walmart. They have a non-skid backing. They dry very quickly in the sun if wet. Keep our bare feet off of the hot vinyl, and you can usually find something in a pattern that compliments the colors of your boat. They roll up into a small size and store easily when not needed. Here is part of one of ours. The pup”s “cooling” mat is laying over part of this one, but you can get the idea.

ADF91911-70F7-44BD-A480-54D866E47231.jpeg

Last edited:
They are 2’ x 6’ each (or just about any length you need or want) so they fit perfectly between the loungers and the bench seats; one for front and one for back. Got them at Walmart. They have a non-skid backing. They dry very quickly in the sun if wet. Keep our bare feet off of the hot vinyl, and you can usually find something in a pattern that compliments the colors of your boat. They roll up into a small size and store easily when not needed. Here is part of one of ours. The pup”s “cooling” mat is laying over part of this one, but you can get the idea.

View attachment 29539
Hey,
Something's wrong here. Did you steal our dog for your picture?
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 10
Hey,
Something's wrong here. Did you steal our dog for your picture?
Scott

our Bella used to look much like yours. Bella is a mature female now in her 9th or 10th year.

Thanks for talking about your little pup. Ours too is on her 9th year. She's been a great dog. ZERO barking unless someone knocks at the front door. A ton of fun for such a little dog.
Scott

I have learned to avoid dark colors on boats, they tend to get way hotter than lighter ones. When my kids were younger we had a runabout and I had the vinyl redone, it had a very light grey accent originally that I didn't care for so i went a bit darker. MISTAKE! Our catch phrase on the boat was don't touch grey as it would be 30 degrees hotter than the other materials. We were able to cover it with towels and such as there was not alot of it. But man that floor, looks beautiful, but way too dark IMHO for a boat in AZ.

Our aft deck is fiberglass in a cream color and it gets too hot to walk on. I am going to mount a pump and run water over it this summer to make it tolerable. Our carpet is very old school but you can walk on it in the summer.

I have learned to avoid dark colors on boats, they tend to get way hotter than lighter ones. When my kids were younger we had a runabout and I had the vinyl redone, it had a very light grey accent originally that I didn't care for so i went a bit darker. MISTAKE! Our catch phrase on the boat was don't touch grey as it would be 30 degrees hotter than the other materials. We were able to cover it with towels and such as there was not alot of it. But man that floor, looks beautiful, but way too dark IMHO for a boat in AZ.

Agree with the dark colors. Our black mooring cover is so heat absorbing that if the cover itself doesn’t burn your hands, the 5 cover posts surely will. It was only 80* this past Sunday, and I thought I’d have to get welder gloves to handle them.

100% agree regarding dark covers. My dark blue cover got so hot that a life jacket decal melted to the back of a seat.

That’s no good. Mine is ocean blue. Luckily we don’t have many days over 95 in the upper Midwest.
LakelifeMN - looks like you are in Minnesota. This happened to me in Alexandria MN. We left a life jacket behind a captains chair against the back of the rear lounger, and the decal melted into the lounger fabric. It was an expensive life jacket (not a cheapo). Maybe perfect situation, but I know it gets very hot under that dark blue cover with the sun beating on it.

LakelifeMN - looks like you are in Minnesota. This happened to me in Alexandria MN. We left a life jacket behind a captains chair against the back of the rear lounger, and the decal melted into the lounger fabric. It was an expensive life jacket (not a cheapo). Maybe perfect situation, but I know it gets very hot under that dark blue cover with the sun beating on it.
I remember your post when it happened. Did you ever figure out how to get it off your seat? I will certainly try to make sure every time nothing is left on the seats. Thanks for the warning.

Back