What to do about a speedometer

I didn't know they made a GPS speedometer but checked it out and also checked out VesselView from Mercury. I need to replace the fish locator also as its a very basic one and difficult to see. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Attachments

• 20180607_134415.jpg
    20180607_134415.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 33
I have recently purchased a new to me 2017 SX20 with a 90 hp Mercury. The boat does not have a speedometer. My previous pontoon had one in it and it was helpful when trimming. I could use my cell phone GPS but an analog dial would be easier to read and I usually have phone stored. Also my old motor had a water tube that went to the speedometer does the Mercury engine have that capability? Can you buy a new console insert that would accommodate the additional indicator? All this may not be worth it but thought I would ask..Thanks
jgcranch I have a question for you - I bought the same boat and motor as yours last summer - first time ever operating a boat- sounds like you are able to trim yours up and down - I can't trim up off base line with out losing speed and motor sounding like sucking air - would this be because my motor is to high or low - not a speed issue - top out at 30 mph / cruise 14mph at 3500rpm - just making sure it runs as efficiently as possible - I finally became a member couple days ago to get some newbie questions answered

Hi Allan, I can trim some but I have the same problem it I go much beyond 1 mark past the lowest. I also have the problem if I accelerate to fast no matter where the trim is. I have ordered a new prop ( because I don't have a spare and I am thinking there may be something wrong with this one). My top speed is only 25 mph gps @ 5500 rpm, I do cruise about 13 @ 3500. I do have the Command thrust lower unit.

Hi Allan, I can trim some but I have the same problem it I go much beyond 1 mark past the lowest. I also have the problem if I accelerate to fast no matter where the trim is. I have ordered a new prop ( because I don't have a spare and I am thinking there may be something wrong with this one). My top speed is only 25 mph gps @ 5500 rpm, I do cruise about 13 @ 3500. I do have the Command thrust lower unit.
thanks jgcranch - I also have the command thrust 90 - only hit 30 in calm water alone - am very happy with performance over all- just keep reading comments about people trimming up and down so being new I was thinking there might be a problem - this helps me out thanks

Hi Allen what s diameter and pitch prop are you using?
Have to admit I don't know what the diameter or pitch is or that it was something I was to be aware of - being a first time boat owner my dealer never talked about it so I thought every boat came ready to go - should I ask the dealer wh
Hi Allen what s diameter and pitch prop are you using?
Hi - have to admit I don't know what the set up is - my dealer never discussed these things with me so being a first time boat owner I just thought it came ready to go and that was it ( that's why I recently joined the site to learn as much as possible and I am) would I ask my dealer for this info or is it something you can tell from looking ? Now I would like to know and will then pass on the info to you - thanks

+1 on the striker 4, very inexpensive unit that has speedo , depth, water temp, time, fishfinder. Great little unit.

Hi Allen the number is stamped on the prop, mine is 178114A45 13P. I then went to this site and typed in the number in the search and it gave me the diameter and pitch. I have bought props from this company and they are only a few hrs away in the twin cities. http://www.propmd.com/

Hi Allen the number is stamped on the prop, mine is 178114A45 13P. I then went to this site and typed in the number in the search and it gave me the diameter and pitch. I have bought props from this company and they are only a few hrs away in the twin cities. http://www.propmd.com/
Thanks - will try to find it when going out later today - might be tricky with boat in water at marina

We keep ours at a slip at the marina also. I agree it may be difficult to read it. You may have to turn it around and back it into the slip depending how your docks are laid out.

We keep ours at a slip at the marina also. I agree it may be difficult to read it. You may have to turn it around and back it into the slip depending how your docks are laid out.
Definitely want the info so if I can't locate today I will get help during the week - will let you know - will also test top speed with my wife and dog on today and let you know - for context tubes are dirty with algae and have lifting strakes - thanks

If I’ve learned nothing this past two years, props is both Art and Science. It seems like most people, if they want to get the most out of their motors, end up having to experiment with props as what comes with the pontoon is often not the prop that delivers maximum performance. With pontoons, intended uses, performance goals, there is such a wide range of options and such that its not easy for dealers to dial it in.

Definitely want the info so if I can't locate today I will get help during the week - will let you know - will also test top speed with my wife and dog on today and let you know - for context tubes are dirty with algae and have lifting strakes - thanks

Hi Allen, I have algae on mine also but I do not have the strakes and that is probably making the speed difference as my dealer said it would make 2-3 mph difference in speed.

If I’ve learned nothing this past two years, props is both Art and Science. It seems like most people, if they want to get the most out of their motors, end up having to experiment with props as what comes with the pontoon is often not the prop that delivers maximum performance. With pontoons, intended uses, performance goals, there is such a wide range of options and such that its not easy for dealers to dial it in.
Thanks - mainly want info to share in discussions - very happy with performance when comparing to other peoples results on here so probably won't be doing any experimenting

Hi Viking, thanks for your comments. I purchased my pontoon used so I didn't really have a choice and we bought it in January so we couldn't test it but we are still happy with the performance.

Hi Viking, thanks for your comments. I purchased my pontoon used so I didn't really have a choice and we bought it in January so we couldn't test it but we are still happy with the performance.
Just back from a nice cruise on the ottawa river - found these #s on the prop - 13x31 / 2.38 8:1 it has 4 propellers -Could anyone explain what if anything these #s mean? Also had these results - at 3500 rpm 14.7 mph - WOT 5200 rpm 27.3 mph with my wife and Dog with me / 1/2 tank gas and no wind -as a new member will post few pictures of boat as soon as I figure out how to do it

Just back from a nice cruise on the ottawa river - found these #s on the prop - 13x31 / 2.38 8:1 it has 4 propellers -Could anyone explain what if anything these #s mean? Also had these results - at 3500 rpm 14.7 mph - WOT 5200 rpm 27.3 mph with my wife and Dog with me / 1/2 tank gas and no wind -as a new member will post few pictures of boat as soon as I figure out how to do it
Can’t figure out how to post these pictures - can someone give me instructions - thanks

Look beneath your post at the 3 green buttons. One says “upload file”. You can use that to upload and insert pictures directly from your phone or tablet. Not sure if it works the same on a computer as I’m always on my iPad when on these forums.

Look beneath your post at the 3 green buttons. One says “upload file”. You can use that to upload and insert pictures directly from your phone or tablet. Not sure if it works the same on a computer as I’m always on my iPad when on these forums.
Thanks vikingstaff - think I finally got the photos posted !

Back