What vehicle are you towing with?

Just got back from a trip to Lewis Smith Lake. It was only 5 hours away, and towed with this:

7341451F-144A-4974-800E-2497069F0FED.jpg

If I'm pulling in the mountains, or really far off, I'll use this:

EAF552F5-CF71-47DD-A65F-920AB7B1584A.jpg

If it's just to pull around the corner to our neighborhood ramp, I use this: 

TONAFUN%20and%20TOONAFUN.jpg

Those of you running GM products and towing a boat similar to how much my beast of a boat weighs.....trying to decide between the 5.3 and 6.2L engines.  I'd really like to know if the 5.3L will get the job done.  Statistically it will when I read through all the weight limits, etc.....and the salesmen at the dealerships also insist it will (but I also know you won't typically find a 6.2L engine at the dealerships so they may just be trying to get me to buy what's on their lot) but I just wonder how much the engine will struggle doing it.  Currently we don't tow very much since we live on a lake but we use an older 2003 Dodge Ram 4x4 single cab pickup....has the towing package, 20" rims, 5.7L HEMI with a 3.92 rear end gear and while it tows it, you def. know it's back there.  We are towing it up to Torch Lake in northern Michigan in 3 weeks with my Dad's 2009 Suburban 4x4 that has the 5.3L and 3.73 gear (towing package as well) so I guess I'll find out here.....but we are looking at buying a new vehicle next February (when the Bennington is paid off....YEA!!!!!) and that is the biggest thing I'm looking at (the 2 different engines)....that and if I want an SUV or a truck.

Any and all opinions are truly welcomed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2017 Silverado double cab Z71 with the 5.3. We don't really tow much but will occasionally go to another lake about 40 minutes away. It does great for that type of trip. I've never had to put the pedal to the floor to get the truck/boat up to speed getting on the highway. Would the 6.2 be better, probably. But 99% of the miles driven with the truck will not be towing.

The newer 5.3's seems stronger than the the 08 Silverado I had. Maybe it's just me but they get to it.

Thanks for that feedback.....that's the same thing I am hearing:  That the newer 5.3L's really do well.  I just keep thinking that if my 2003 5.7 HEMI struggles then how on earth will a 5.3L not do even worse, but people tell me I can't think that way because my 5.7L HEMI is a much older engine.  And just like you said, 99% of the miles driven will not be towing.  However, I work a mere 1.1 miles from home and my wife only work 6-7 miles from home.....so that's not really an issue either. 

All of this said, if I can find like a 2 year old Yukon Denali (the Denali is the only version of the Yukon that you can get the 6.2L in) or Escalade with the 6.2L that were like 2 year lease vehicles.....at a fair price....that's probably what I'll get.  But that's also a big IF.

Let me jump in here and tell my story. I had a 2011 gmc extended cab with the 5.3 It drove me nuts driving up the interstate. It just struggled it would pull it but rpm were high and drank gas unbelievable. I traded it in for a 2015 crew cab with the new 5.3, The new 5.3 has just enough upgrade in horsepower and torque to get the job done. I would have liked to have the 6.2 but I bought it at the end of the year sale and saved 10k. My business partner bought the same truck but had the 6.2 for the same price 8 months later when that engine was plentiful. If you look up Laura's GMC in southern Ill just outside St Louis they have year round unbelievable deals, No catch just have to drive a bit  or fly in. They have folks that will pick you up at the airport.Just a high volume dealer I assume. 

Yeah that's what my HEMI does now.....it pulls it but the RPM's are up there and man does it drink some go go juice.  And now I'm pretty sure that's gonna be the same issue with my Dad's suburban cuz it's 2 years older than your 2011.

I have a 2017 Silverado double cab Z71 with the 5.3. We don't really tow much but will occasionally go to another lake about 40 minutes away. It does great for that type of trip. I've never had to put the pedal to the floor to get the truck/boat up to speed getting on the highway. Would the 6.2 be better, probably. But 99% of the miles driven with the truck will not be towing.

The newer 5.3's seems stronger than the the 08 Silverado I had. Maybe it's just me but they get to it.

My 2014 5.3 pulls a lot better than my 2006 6.0 AWD Truck.

The newer 5.3 engines have improvements to boost HP and torque but the vehicles also benefit hugely from the 8 speed transmission available last couple of years.  

Yeah I've heard that as well.  Having that many gears is everything.

All of this said, if I can find like a 2 year old Yukon Denali (the Denali is the only version of the Yukon that you can get the 6.2L in) or Escalade with the 6.2L that were like 2 year lease vehicles.....at a fair price....that's probably what I'll get.  But that's also a big IF.

Good idea.  You'll save a ton of money over buying new and you'll have an excellent tow rig with factory air leveling already installed.  The biggest difference in my previous 2014 GMC Yukon Denali and my newer 2016 GMC Yukon Denali is the 8 speed transmission and there is a world if difference in towing.

I'll bet there is.  What year did they go to the 8 speed?

I'll bet there is.  What year did they go to the 8 speed?

I believe the first year Yukon had the 8 speed transmission is when the newer/current body style was introduced which was 2015.  

Oh cool.....so I can get a 2 or 3 year old vehicle come next February and still be able to get that 8 speed.  Thanks.

Yeah you are correct....I just did a search and it was indeed 2015 when they first came out with that 8 speed.  It's the standard tranny is all 6.2L engines regardless of what vehicle it's in.

Oh cool.....so I can get a 2 or 3 year old vehicle come next February and still be able to get that 8 speed.  Thanks.

Yes.  Caddy may have had the 8 speed transmission one or two years earlier but not sure.  Dealership would know or maybe can find info on the web.  Good luck.

Back