What vehicle are you towing with?

You'll be fine. Is the boat loaded a little tongue heavy?

I love my 6.2 in the Caddy! Big difference between it and my 03 Tahoe with the 5.3, although could have just been mine. I have about a 50 minute tow each way through some pretty steep hills. A friend of mine is the boss of the local Ford dealership and I was asking about the new Expedition. He said it had the 6 cyl in it. So I said "oh, never mind, I'll need to tow my boat with it" he told me that come summer to come by and he'll give me a truck to use to tow, just because he wants to know my true comparison feelings between them. Maybe I'll try it out. My neighbor has one that he loved with his last fishing boat, but his new fishing boat is a little bigger and heavier and he said he definitely knows it's back there now.

You'll be fine. Is the boat loaded a little tongue heavy?
No it's centered, but on my last truck if I had anything in the bed I had to pry the jack to get it to engage, if I was in a little soft grass I had hell of a time. Thus air bags.

Did you get the max trailer package? The '14s & '15s use a Hotchkiss 9.5 axle and electronic away control with the max tow package. If this is what you bought, I'd say you have an really strong platform to work from. If you feel too much sway, go for a weight distribution hitch instead of the airbags.

I trailer my boat every weekend in my '15 Tahoe and can attest to the drastic difference between the previous gen. frame, axle, suspension setups and what are being used in the new models.

Yup, take it from Spin, he may be tone deaf, but the guy knows his vehicles! Haha jk

Did you get the max trailer package? The '14s & '15s use a Hotchkiss 9.5 axle and electronic away control with the max tow package. If this is what you bought, I'd say you have an really strong platform to work from. If you feel too much sway, go for a weight distribution hitch instead of the airbags.

I trailer my boat every weekend in my '15 Tahoe and can attest to the drastic difference between the previous gen. frame, axle, suspension setups and what are being used in the new models.
How do you know if you have the max trailer package? I went to the silverado site to build one and I just see one option. I pulled my build sheet and it just shows a towing package.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the beetle today so I'll have to look when I get home. Thanks for the info.

We recently picked up a slightly used 2014 Toyota Sequoia.  It tows the boat wonderfully!  You can feel it back there, but it's not a giant difference from regular driving which shocked me a little.

I have the Z82 Trailering Package. On my previous truck I did not have any sway issues, so I hope I don't have any now. 

If you didn't have towing issues before you'll certainly not have issues now. The new GM trucks are phenomenal in towing capabilities. If my short wheel base 5.3l Tahoe can yank my heavy R around, your silver -ade - o (typed in my best Amiri King Parody impression)will tow 10x better.

Not to mention run for infinity miles.

2008 Silverado LTZ with a 6.0 TurboMax.  LOVE MY TRUCK!

2005 F-150 King Ranch.  I don't tow my Benny too much, but at less than 4K lbs on the 2075GL my truck barely knows it's there.  The old 5.4L V8 and tow package on mine, 3.73 gears.  That motor is a pig on gas.  Love to have the ECOBoost, but just spent my truck money on a new boat.

I have. 2375GCW with a 200 Yamaha on order.  Should be fine.  My tow rating was 9600lbs new.  Probably down to 7500 now, ha.

Back and forth to the lake (a couple miles to the ramp) Ill use my Hummer H3 Alpha with the 5.3... Long hauls Ill use my 05 F350 dually with the 6.0   Looking to add a new F150 with the ecoboost soon too.

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 w/ 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel and Exhaust Brake. Payload = 3020 lbs, Max Towing = 17870 lbs.  I tow anywhere from 30-75 miles each way to the lake every weekend. One of the lakes has highway with some 5% grades. Diesel pulls hills at 75 mph like nothing is behind it and with the exhaust brake I hardly ever touch the brakes on the downhill. /monthly_2016_04/large.20160323_140304.jpeg.cecb278d3daaa40019688cdb4a0bd7d4.jpeg

Wow landscaper, you could tow your boat and mine with that beast.  When I look back through this thread I am amazed at how many of you have such tow beasts

Wow landscaper, you could tow your boat and mine with that beast.  When I look back through this thread I am amazed at how many of you have such tow beasts

Yes... it's probably a little more than needed. However, I love the fact that there is really no strain on the motor and this rig really keeps the trailer tracking behind her. The exhaust brake is one of my favorite options as it really saves on the brake wear and tear. I am also getting 17 mpg when towing which will go down a little with the larger tires recently added. I tow thru some hills and canyons to get to some of the lakes here so its nice to have the power.

Back