which anchor?

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the input. There always seems to be things to learn from all of you. I have not purchased an anchor yet but will start looking for one soon. Interesting fact on the twisted nylon line too.

Marc

I always preferred braid over twist, much easier on the hands, and doesn't get wiry like the twist. Hard to believe that it makes that much difference in anchoring

Well do a Google search and you will see that every one of them states that twisted has more stretch to it than the braided.  It also costs less.

I forgot to mention one other thing that guy told me.....he said even with my big boat to go with 3/8" sized line, NOT 1/2" for the same reason:  The 3/8" will have more stretch to it than 1/2" and I have been using 1/2" braided.  So like he said, I have been using an anchor line with practically zero stretch plus of course letting too much line out with that box anchor.  No wonder that thing hasn't worked as well as I thought it should on windy days.

Update:

I once again spoke to the owner of Slide Anchor today.  Despite what I posted on here back in February, the owner and I came to an agreement that it is unlikely that merely changing from my braided nylon line to that of twisted nylon, and ensuring I only let enough line out for the 2:1 ratio (i.e. let out 70 feet of line when in 35 feet of water)...that is unlikely to provide me a major improvement with the anchor working during windy conditions.  He recommended I keep my nice braided nylon line that I have been using and purchase his Anchor Buddy seen here:   http://slideanchor.com/store/index.php/accessories/anchor-buddy.html   which will act like a bungee and prevent the shock of tugging on the anchor so badly.  He also said I could always get his even larger box anchor (44 lbs !) but he insisted that I am already using the large size and he cannot believe that isn't holding my boat.  He also flat out offered to buy my anchor back.

So I purchased the Anchor Buddy for $25.  We''ll see how it works this summer.

Keep us posted, at a minimum sounds like a company I want to buy from!

Great service.

keithkz, thanks for all that great information, I have recently ordered the small box anchor for my 2275 RL. One question though, is there a difference between the slide anchor and the box anchor as I see the price for a box anchor on Amazon is $140 and the box anchor on Slideanchor is $119

Right you are Jack, the $119 is the baby.  I already ordered the small box from Amazon and expect it in sometime this week

I haven't seen anymore discussion on the hourglass anchor. Anyone tried it or seen it? What are your thoughts? 

It only works with sand.

How about the ball anchor?

Last edited by a moderator:
And cats.

There's nothing wrong with cats....but that's another topic.

I have a friend who really likes cats...

But,  I think he over cooks them... :p

There's nothing wrong with cats....but that's another topic.
When somebody else owns them and keeps them in their house.

Speaking of cats does anybody want the mother and 2 kittens that decided that the perfect place to live is in my runabout under the cover. 

Call Chinese delight at 248-4.....

Our local Chinese Cusine Establishment gives a free meal ticket for every cat I take them..  Hey...ya gotta do what you can to save money if you got a Bennington with a monster motor :D

I have a friend who really likes cats...

But, I think he over cooks them... :p
I've threatened to fry up our cat more than once and eat it. I bet that hissing puking furball tastes like chicken...

Back