Which Prop?

BLACKSLI24

Reaction score
I have a 2010 SLi 24 2 25" tubes with a 115 hp Yamaha. Currently the prop is a 13.5x15p. The WOT RPM is 5200-5300 which seems low. Is there a prop that would work better? Yamaha performance bulliton used a 14x13p prop but the boat was a tri toon. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2010 SLi 24 2 25" tubes with a 115 hp Yamaha. Currently the prop is a 13.5x15p. The WOT RPM is 5200-5300 which seems low. Is there a prop that would work better? Yamaha performance bulliton used a 14x13p prop but the boat was a tri toon. Any suggestions?
Yamaha has a new Performance Stainless prop meant for pontoons. It is a 14 x 13 for the 115HP engine and your length boat. We just switched to it on ours and noticed a nice gain in performance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd agree that bigger blades and less pitch is called for.

Something to keep in mind is that stainless props are more expensive than other options, which creates a double whammy for pontoons. First, because there isn't the same depth of experience in pontoon props that there is in mono-hull props. Second because pontoons tend to be common on very shallow water.

I would offer this suggestion...

Try a relatively low cost aluminum prop in either 14x13p or 14x12p. See how it works for you and whether you need to go up or down. Be aware that going to a stiffer steel prop is like increasing your pitch slightly due to less elastic deformation in the blades. Or at least that's what that engineer guy I spoke with said.

Once you have you "cheap" prop dialed in, if you feel that you're on deep enough water to run a stainless prop (The concern is the blades hitting objects on the bottom), then you can go ahead and buy it. PLUS you now have a spare for that "just in case" situation.

I see there are many brand of AL props. Are any better than others? are there any to stay away form? I plan on sticking with AL props to the lake being Shallow.

I see there are many brand of AL props. Are any better than others? are there any to stay away form? I plan on sticking with AL props to the lake being Shallow.
Well, I'm sure there are quality differences in manufacturing from company to company, but I couldn't really tell you what they are as I'm not a metallurgist. The only reason I know the little I do is because I tend to really pump the tech reps for info when I go to a boat show. I think one of them has a restraining order on me now...

Anyway, if you stick with a name brand like yamaha, mercury, etc... you'll be fine.

Also be aware that one manufacturer's prop will fit more than just that manufacturer's engine. Fit is determine primarily by how big your shaft is and how many splines are machined into it. I run a mercury prop on my yamaha engine for instance.

There are VERY inexpensive props you can buy, like under $100, but I have no experience with those. However, some other folks here have, I just can't remember who; and they seem happy with them.

Do a keyword search on "prop" here on the forum and it should turn up quickly.

Can't necessarily direct you to a prop, however, I can share my experience. I have a 2011 24 SLi with a 115HP mercury. My prop is a 14.25x17P. I am at about 5000RPM - speed via GPS with 3 on board was 28mph and 26mph with 5 on board (3 kids). Both scenarios are with a full fuel tank. I also believe I am at the low end of the RPM rating, however, performance seemed good. I'll be interested to see all the advice you receive.

Shawn

Back