Why it’s worth it!

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Boat and gas prices are crazy, right!?! Easy to fixate on those things (and important to do so).

So why is it worth it? Why do all of us invest so much time, energy and money in our Bennington’s? It would be great to hear from others on why it’s worth it to you and your family. Maybe share pictures (no more than 3) showcasing why it’s worth it to you.

Our family: It is a reason to set aside time from the busyness of life and get together with family and friends lakeside. It helps motivate our young adult kids to still spend time with my wife and I. ;) It also gets them and their friends up, many of whom don’t have this opportunity in their own lives.

It gets us outdoors enjoying the sun and water, talking and hanging out, and enjoying the people and world around us.

Having hosted a few exchange students, it has allowed us to provide opportunities to them that they had never done back home. Our latest exchange student ”Emmy” just returned home after a year stay with us. Getting to spend a day tubing and cruising on the lake just before she left was a precious memory for all of us. It reminded me of “why it’s worth it to us”.

We enjoy sharing the lake and boat life with others, and the camaraderie it creates for everyone.

Pictures with our exchange student enjoying new experiences on our boat during her exchange year with us:

83C7CC17-2C62-4C28-8D51-9868FDEEB86D.jpeg7F75C3FE-CB41-483B-BE0C-6A4481117E81.jpegAED79035-FDFD-4D8F-99F3-3CD1BCD2FA0D.jpeg

I don't have any pictures, but memorial day 2021 we had my sister in law and her husband and their friends up with their twin 3 year old girls. Pulling them on the tube and hearing the squeals and laughing was great. Then one of the girls proclaimed that day as the "best day ever". Priceless for me!

I don't have any recent pictures, but for us, it's about spending time with family and friends and making unplugged memories (without phones, tv, etc).

The cost of owning/maintaining/operating (gas) the boat is the cost. We don't even think twice about it and we are by no means the Rockefellers. The investment we make in boating is paid back in memories and time spent with our family and friends. When we're at the house, everyone tends to scatter, but when we're on the lake, you're either in a tube or on the boat, talking and enjoy each others company, enjoying the sun and weather.

The year we purchased the boat, we got some push back from a non-boating family member. "It's cheaper to rent" "The maintenance is a nightmare" "Break Out Another Thousand" He's now one of the first people to ask to come up for a weekend.

We are looking forward to when our 9 month old gets older and can do water sports, bring friends, etc.

That's what it's all about.

I had envisioned retirement to include travel. But not now,...as my adult children have said, " This boat is a game changer!"
They now drive 6.5 hours every 2-3 weeks to Table Rock Lake to enjoy the water, the pontoon, and our company. We actually see them more often than when we are all in the same town. They grew up visiting grandparents with a Bennington, and now, so do their children.:)

Our family: It is a reason to set aside time from the busyness of life and get together with family and friends lakeside. It helps motivate our young adult kids to still spend time with my wife and I. ;) It also gets them and their friends up, many of whom don’t have this opportunity in their own lives.

It gets us outdoors enjoying the sun and water, talking and hanging out, and enjoying the people and world around us.

Having hosted a few exchange students, it has allowed us to provide opportunities to them that they had never done back home. Our latest exchange student ”Emmy” just returned home after a year stay with us. Getting to spend a day tubing and cruising on the lake just before she left was a precious memory for all of us. It reminded me of “why it’s worth it to us”.

We enjoy sharing the lake and boat life with others, and the camaraderie it creates for everyone.

Pictures with our exchange student enjoying new experiences on our boat during her exchange year with us:

View attachment 32878View attachment 32879View attachment 32880
So glad you got your boat back!

Can’t really add much to this conversation except that I’m always hoping that I’ll be able to put more hours on the Benny than the previous year.

Boat and gas prices are crazy, right!?! Easy to fixate on those things (and important to do so).

So why is it worth it? Why do all of us invest so much time, energy and money in our Bennington’s? It would be great to hear from others on why it’s worth it to you and your family. Maybe share pictures (no more than 3) showcasing why it’s worth it to you.
To hear the laughter of my 9 grandkids…….priceless!!!!!

For me it’s all about family time. We had our son on the boat when he was three days old. He turns 7 next month. It’s amazing how much he’s grown since we’ve moved down here. Also, everyone is always happier on a boat!!!

Attachments

• B3AF669F-FD65-4C92-AC7E-70D758FE9F67.jpeg
    B3AF669F-FD65-4C92-AC7E-70D758FE9F67.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 5E05DA82-F066-40BA-A2FC-41E1A05D822C.jpeg
    5E05DA82-F066-40BA-A2FC-41E1A05D822C.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
For me it’s all about family time. We had our son on the boat when he was three days old. He turns 7 next month. It’s amazing how much he’s grown since we’ve moved down here. Also, everyone is always happier on a boat!!!
Enjoy my friend! They grow up way to fast. My 4 go from 36-41. 9 grandkids 5-16. They are all blessing. Hope you have a fantastic summer.

My adult kids are here and we spent a perfect day on Lake Norman today! Got on the water about noon. Everybody skiied/wakeboarded (I was the designated driver) and we brought lots to eat/drink! Put the boat back on the lift about 7. Tired......

Attachments

• 8DB9E417-D6FE-405D-9C5F-E9368AFB6F31.jpeg
    8DB9E417-D6FE-405D-9C5F-E9368AFB6F31.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 12
  • C0298FB3-C82E-46DE-AA6D-BE6486910600.jpeg
    C0298FB3-C82E-46DE-AA6D-BE6486910600.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 12
It goes back to my childhood. My father always had pontoon boats in the 70's and 80's growing up (when they weren't all that popular). Back then, Harris Flote boat was Cadillac of toons. Went away from them when "I grew up" and went into CC's and walk arounds for walleye fishing and tournaments etc. Kids got bored with non-skid decking and trolling for hours on end and wanted something more family friendly. My dad passed away late in 2009 and in 2011 I went to Korea for 2 weeks for work and my cousins took my wife and kids to the boat show. When I came home, i was met with brochures on the kitchen table from the show. It was then decided, a toon was in our future.

Funny how back then we ordered our Benny in March of 2011 and it was delivered in June of 2011. Sold my 25' wellcraft CC and have never looked back. While, It not as easy to fish out of, we still get limits of walleye all the time and I can tow a tube and kids enjoy carpet and creature comforts (rear loungers) etc.

Attachments

• tubing.jpg
    tubing.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 19
  • walleye.jpg
    walleye.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 19
  • benny fishing at night.JPG
    benny fishing at night.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 19

This is our second year owning our cabin first year with our boat, the family time is what’s worth it. My husband is very busy with his work but when we are on the boat, it’s pure bliss. Fortunate to have this opportunity ❤️

Attachments

• 030E9D6A-9EE6-45EA-BE15-F1C226181B70.jpeg
    030E9D6A-9EE6-45EA-BE15-F1C226181B70.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 26025E2E-E057-44D2-AE2B-B4EB8D213D45.jpeg
    26025E2E-E057-44D2-AE2B-B4EB8D213D45.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 21
  • D107A9AF-C3D9-44C0-BC73-12E5C9365191.jpeg
    D107A9AF-C3D9-44C0-BC73-12E5C9365191.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 21
Back