Wind Storm Ice Piles

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
We had a wind storm on our lake a couple days ago. You usually don’t see something like this until spring, and usually then on the east or southeast shore. Storm pushed lake ice westwards into a massive ridge line. Hard to appreciate in the pictures, but the ice piles vary between 1 and 2 stories tall. About a 1/4 mile north of our lake house.

E40663E5-7B3E-4AE1-9FA5-9CD5AF2F87D7.jpegC515065B-B30D-42F6-B880-4E6BBD41CC7B.jpeg37BB013C-81DB-4E76-B37C-4EFE8CD3E35B.jpeg1EA33C7E-DA2F-4AD2-A7C3-685122F1294F.jpegA515C3F4-4D4C-4994-8C28-1C0A60C4B978.jpeg4B645191-E17F-48A6-8F17-DA5E42C6804B.jpegE8085893-4088-4103-B4DB-9236883954A3.jpegEC45C6C9-E7B2-4760-AB22-25FA7BCEE62F.jpeg

They are about 50-100 feet offshore, and zig zag parallel to shore where it got shallow and jammed up. It’s in 3 waves of height. The rest of our shoreline is spiderwebbed cracked and 1-2’ ridge line of ice stretching out in every direction. Being this late in season, and with winter temps set in for good now, I don’t see this dissapating. Rather, it will probably get worse all winter now.

That said, should be cool to explore once winter lake ice is thick and secure all around it.

Not sure I’ll be able to clear an ice skating area this year for my family. Lake snowmobiling will be very dicey on our side of the lake as a result of this. I can see weekenders at night going to fast and having accidents because of all the irregularities.

Thought I’d share as some might find it pretty interesting. As one can see, you don’t have holiday boat parades on northern lakes. Ha, ha!

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen anything quite like that on HL before. I agree that it should be interesting to see how that impacts lake usage this winter. Pressure cracks are always a concern but this is a whole new level.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I’ve never seen anything quite like that on HL before. I agree that it should be interesting to see how that impacts lake usage this winter. Pressure cracks are always a concern but this is a whole new level.
I was going to message you and share the pictures with you later today. It’s impressive up close! Glad it’s a 1/4 mile north of us instead of in front of us. That said, or entire stretch of the lake is broken up, and LOTS of pressure cracks and 1-2’ tall ridge lines of ice spreading out. Usually we are very flat.

Cool looking, but not conducive to winter plans.

You have ice already ? Ponds and small lakes just started to freeze this week . Big inland , still open up here .

You have ice already ? Ponds and small lakes just started to freeze this week . Big inland , still open up here .
It’s just the nature of being such a shallow lake. Ice up earlier than most lakes. Heats up in the summers faster too.

Crooked Lake just started to freeze Thursday ,drove by again Friday , much had melted . With the temps dropping up here next week they will all be froze soon .

Pretty cool, thanks for posting

We had a wind storm on our lake a couple days ago. You usually don’t see something like this until spring, and usually then on the east or southeast shore. Storm pushed lake ice westwards into a massive ridge line. Hard to appreciate in the pictures, but the ice piles vary between 1 and 2 stories tall. About a 1/4 mile north of our lake house.

View attachment 33763View attachment 33764View attachment 33765View attachment 33766View attachment 33767View attachment 33768View attachment 33769View attachment 33770

They are about 50-100 feet offshore, and zig zag parallel to shore where it got shallow and jammed up. It’s in 3 waves of height. The rest of our shoreline is spiderwebbed cracked and 1-2’ ridge line of ice stretching out in every direction. Being this late in season, and with winter temps set in for good now, I don’t see this dissapating. Rather, it will probably get worse all winter now.

That said, should be cool to explore once winter lake ice is thick and secure all around it.

Not sure I’ll be able to clear an ice skating area this year for my family. Lake snowmobiling will be very dicey on our side of the lake as a result of this. I can see weekenders at night going to fast and having accidents because of all the irregularities.

Thought I’d share as some might find it pretty interesting. As one can see, you don’t have holiday boat parades on northern lakes. Ha, ha!
Damn! Had to go put on a sweatshirt after reading that Jeff!!! Speaking of Christmas lighted boat parades there was a good one on the north side of the lake last week. The south has there's tonight. IMG_20221210_182938577.jpgIMG_20221210_181548607.jpgIMG_20221210_181517653.jpg

Damn! Had to go put on a sweatshirt after reading that Jeff!!! Speaking of Christmas lighted boat parades there was a good one on the north side of the lake last week. The south has there's tonight.
I saw pictures of it in a FB group the other day and thought about you.

Back