wind

norsky

Reaction score
I told a buddy of mine I ordered a pontoon boat. He kept telling me how much I was going to regret it when I get on the water and the wind starts blowing. Does he know what he is talking about or is he just bust in my chops?

I don't understand the problem......boats, any boat, will blow around in a big wind. It might be insurmountable if the wind is coming from your friend though!

The only time I have noticed the wind to be a problem is putting the pontoon back on the trailer, this can be a challenge.

I will not go out on my lake if the winds are high and I'm talking 20 to 30 mph winds, 10 to 20 mph not really a problem until you need to leave, sorry I might be a wimp but I do not like fighting waves or wind if I can keep from it, and this is in any type of boat.

The only time I hate the wind is when we're pulling a tube or skier uphill AND into the wind.

Sorry, bad gravity joke. (You know, the lake is flat due to gravity...)

I agree, wind is a pain for all boats. The good news is, last year there were only a few times where I decided it was too windy to boat. My buddy who boats with me has a Sea Ray, and he didn't want to go either so it wasn't just me. 90% of the season the wind didn't effect me. In fact, mid summer I was praying for wind. So, take that in to consideration.

He kept telling me how much I was going to regret it when I get on the water and the wind starts blowing.
It's an open boat, so I doubt you'll have much of a problem. Still, to be on the safe side, make sure you don't let him eat any beans before he gets on your boat.

I have owned run-abouts and pontoons. Your buddy is right that pontoons do catch the air more, but not to the point you will regret it. The only time it ever becomes an issue is when it is really windy and you are putting it on the trailer or docking it.

My current Bennington is heavier than my previous pontoon which causes it to be impacted by wind even less.

I have a ski boat and a pontoon and when the wind blows the pontoon is much harder to dock do to the free board.

Strong winds will blow any boat around, pontoons are harder to control but it is really only a problem when docking. For inland lakes the only times it really effected chances are you wouldn't want to be in boat anyway.

Back