Winter Cover and Transhield instead of shrink wrap?

Toddk9

Reaction score
Hey,

Anybody try this Transhield pontoon cover? I normally get it shrink wrapped for my Wisconsin winter but that is getting expensive. i bought the cover yesterday and should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully install on Saturday. I already got the post from leftover from previous shrink wrap. The cover gets good reviews.

Video of the install:

What'cha think?

I can buy a new cover every year and still be few hundred dollars cheaper then shrink wrapping. If i get two winters out of the cover, would be a bonus. Keep a spare cover at the house incase of issue mid-winter and can quickly install?

Last edited:
So long as someone has a good internal support system, it looks very intriguing. Any chance you can take a few pictures and post them once you get it all put on for winter storage? Based on the video, I am curious how snug you are able to get it, and whether you end up covering the motor too, or just the boat. Will your boat sit outside on a trailer throughout the winter with this cover on it? Any chance of mid-winter pictures with snow covering it to see how it holds up?

Finally, can you update all of us on how it holds up this winter? Curious how well it will protect boat, and what condition the cover will be in come next spring.

Sorry for all the questions, but since you pulled the trigger already on getting it, I am very curious how it does. As you mention, it could be a great alternative for winter storage if its durable and secure enough.

The cover looks to be of good quality! Agree with Vikingstaff you will need an internal support system underneath like they do when they shrink wrap it so it won't cave in from the heavy snow. (The one in the video wouldn't last your Wisconsin winter) With proper care you should get several years use out of it! Is it big enough to fit over your other mooring cover or will you use it by itself???

Hey,

Anybody try this Transhield pontoon cover? I normally get it shrink wrapped for my Wisconsin winter but that is getting expensive. i bought the cover yesterday and should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully install on Saturday. I already got the post from leftover from previous shrink wrap. The cover gets good reviews.

Video of the install:

What'cha think?

I can buy a new cover every year and still be few hundred dollars cheaper then shrink wrapping. If i get two winters out of the cover, would be a bonus. Keep a spare cover at the house incase of issue mid-winter and can quickly install?
I have seen a similar type cover here used in Michigan with good success. I would agree with previous posts as I would not use a 1' wide cloth type strap as a support system if you experience heavy wet snow in your area. The frames I have seen here seem to be of 1/2' or 1" PVC pipe in the same fashion. We also have a guy in our canal who has a similar canvas but he uses a wooden frame (looks like 1x1 or 1x2's as his frame. PVC would be most likely cheaper and lighter then the wood.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

Thanks for the reply's.. From shrink wrapping, i still have 2x4's 5' tall (3) as support poles. They were held up by the nylon strapping... I think i will use a long 2x4 as a center beam, cover with old towls and screw the three poles to that. Another 2x4 in the front support going across both the benches for tipping to the side. Then use Nylon strap to hold it more secure

Last edited:
Just a thought $288. In Wisconsin I store my Bennington in a farmers storage area for $400 for 6 months. Did you ever look into inside storage?

Just a thought $288. In Wisconsin I store my Bennington in a farmers storage area for $400 for 6 months. Did you ever look into inside storage?
Yup... The same place i store my Firebird (Cottage Grove, WI) would be $400 for non-heated. Just a hassle getting things in/out when you want. Things need to come in/out in order. I like the freedom and working on my timeline. If this cover works and holds up, when I pull the boat off of the lake in fall, I can empty/clean and put the winter cover on in October and forget about it. If i need a new cover every year, $288 still is not bad for a season.

I am in the delmarva area and our winters are a bit more mild than Wisconsin but i did the same thing. I switch from Shrink wrap to a reuseable tarp with a 2x4 super structure to maintain an A-Frame pitch. i have been doing that process since 2021 with success. I have a 22 SLX and bought a 16mil 20'x30' tarp which i tie tightly to the trailer. I have had zero issue with mold, snow/ice, or animals. The tarp has held up beautifully and i have easy access for off season boat work. As of now i have zero plans on returning to shrink wrap.

here is the tarp i bought from amazon for just over 10 bucks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BJ2QLLL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

i used about 5 2x4s for the A-frame which i made to be easily taken apart for summer storage. so all in at under $150 dollars and that's lasted 3 seasons so far with no signs of aging yet. Huge savings compared to the near $600 per year for shrink wrap.

The most important aspects i have found so far are a good quality thick material that has UV protection and reinforced tie downs and one that covers all the way down the side rails on the sides front and back to prevent animal intrusion. Good luck with your new cover.

Well, I started the process of installing it..

What I learned:
1) Poles can only be 4ft high. Anything taller, the cover will not go under the deck. Started at 5ft and worked my way down
2) Cover is nice and has two vents in it. Think it will last a few seasons. It ratchets the bottom nice and tight under the deck.
3) had to remove my canopy frame, otherwise the cover would not go under the deck in the back.
4) Putting the cover over the motor leaves large triangle gaps on both sides of the motor. Going to redo it without covering the motor and just buy a motor cover.

• Ridge board is 12' long. Poles are 4ft tall and I used 16"x16" plywood for the stand of the vertical 2x4 post
  • Flipped up all the seats to keep compartments dry and added the big bucket of "Damp Rid" and packet of mouth balls to the floor
  • I will get more pictures during the day. I was frustrated on Sunday redoing the vertical post height so often to get them right, plus I am going to uncover the motor to seal it up tight.

1698156122113.png1698156170863.png1698156204843.png1698156292984.png
1698156349113.png

Last edited:
Great report. Thanks!

You’re nearly done, and although some hassle elements to it, sounds like once you have it down for this season, you’ll be all set for future seasons. Nice work!

Toddk9, thanks for posting. I have already paid for shrink wrapping this year. But I like everything you are doing and I think I will follow your lead for next year. I hope you won't mind if I check back with you in the spring to see how the winter went. Cheers!

Update - In Wisconsin we received about 18" of snow in 5-6 day span last week. I went out to the boat and cover to inspect. It is holding up well in the front and middle. I think next year i will buy a longer ridge board. currently @ 12 ft, to go back further to the ski/tow bar for better support on the back side instead of the twine/string currently used. That would increase the angle and let the snow slide down better. You can scroll up to see what i had done on previous pictures. I used a broom to remove the snow off the back after these pictures.

So far - I believe this cover could last 3 years. Next update will be in spring when i remove it.
1705437029795.png1705437081531.png

Last edited:
Nice update! Thanks Todd.

Good stuff. Here is another idea. Many years ago I constructed a boat cover with a single 20 X 30 brown tarp on a stick structure made of wood two by twos. The sticks where connected with screws driven at a angle (tow nail fashion). C-clamps fastened the sticks to the rail. To prevent heavy water puddles from forming the tarp was stretched drum tight and stapled to the sticks. The tarp was folded and tucked like a christmas present. When it was all wrapped up it looked like a trim little cabin. The brown color did not cheapen the neighborhood too much. Snow would build up on the roof but only to a point and then it would slide off the flat smooth plastic. At the end of a winter the staples where removed with a screwdriver. A-frame segments where saved and not broken down for the summer. After the first year reconstruction was quick and rewarding. I used that tarp and method for seven years.

Back