Winter prep on 4 stroke Mec 115

All the debate over running your system dry, I'll throw in my opinion as well, if your engine has carburetors, running it dry is ok, but i don't like the powdery residue left behind. If your engine is fuel injected, i think you should leave fuel in the system. A high pressure fuel pump depends on fuel flow to keep it cool, much like your water pump impeller, it only takes a few seconds of dry run to do damage. Plus, the fuel injectors have very small openings to create the atomized fuel spray required for proper performance, a particle of residue that would pass through a carburetor may clog a fuel injector. As for the ethanol, modern fuel systems are designed to handle up to 10% ethanol, personally i don't like ethanol at all, but it's been forced upon us. That's my 2cents, and everyone needs to make their own decision about how they treat their boat ;)

I've seen nothing from Merc suggesting running an EFI motor dry.

Good comments, Geoff.

All the debate over running your system dry, I'll throw in my opinion as well, if your engine has carburetors, running it dry is ok, but i don't like the powdery residue left behind. If your engine is fuel injected, i think you should leave fuel in the system. A high pressure fuel pump depends on fuel flow to keep it cool, much like your water pump impeller, it only takes a few seconds of dry run to do damage. Plus, the fuel injectors have very small openings to create the atomized fuel spray required for proper performance, a particle of residue that would pass through a carburetor may clog a fuel injector. As for the ethanol, modern fuel systems are designed to handle up to 10% ethanol, personally i don't like ethanol at all, but it's been forced upon us. That's my 2cents, and everyone needs to make their own decision about how they treat their boat ;)

Back