Winterization storage tips...

jcr159

Reaction score
First season having my boat pulled, winterized, and stored by the dealer..

any advice or FAQ's folks can point me to? I'd hate to make a boneheaded mistake!

I do the same thing . I remove all my personal items and put down dryer sheets as a rodent deterent . My dealer does all the winterazation and any work I need or want done.

I do the same thing . I remove all my personal items and put down dryer sheets as a rodent deterent . My dealer does all the winterazation and any work I need or want done.
Agree with Jack.

The fabric sheets I used were strongly scented. Easy to do and worked well for rodent repellant.

The only things I left on board were lines, anchors and fenders. Everything else off.

I also took pictures of the boat before and after it was loaded onto the trailer. I pay the dealer to tow, store and winterize.

I use moth balls along with dryer sheets around the house,but not on the boat . Scented dryer sheets at the $ store work fine . Damp rid I use during season under the helm in a coffee can ( plastic now )

I use moth balls along with dryer sheets around the house,but not on the boat . Scented dryer sheets at the $ store work fine . Damp rid I use during season under the helm in a coffee can ( plastic now )

do you do anything to help "dry out" the boat before they shrink wrap it?

We pulled out our boat and jet ski this past Monday and Tuesday. :(

Boat is getting prepped and set for winter storage by our local Bennington dealership - final year for us using them.

Jet ski will be winter prepped elsewhere and generously housed for this upcoming winter by another forum member in their garage (with much appreciation from us!).

Our boat has always had indoor dealership winter storage. Exploring different options for next year. Stay indoor but with someone else, OR perhaps wrap it and store outside to save money annually???

I’ll have to do some research this upcoming year to make a good decision next year.

I was planning on storing in my garage, but I have been trapping too many mice . I spoke to my insurance agent any damage would be covered but I don't want to take a chance.

This is my first season with pontoon. My previous 3 V hulls I used moth balls and drier sheets. What do folks here use to keep spider/bugs from staining the seating?

Assure the boat is dry before it is shrink wrapped. Don't want to have mold growing everywhere. I clean & treat all the seats before it's put away. It helps with mold prevention. I also do the dryer sheet thing in every nook and cranny on the boat. The dealer places damp rids in the boat before he shrink wraps.

Winterization is next to nothing since we got an outboard! We have stored it on the trailer with the motor upright to let any water drain out. No more running antifreeze through the I/O engine block! I take all dock lines, anchor lines, any kind of rope out of the boat in case mice get in. They made nice little nests out of all of them in our first boat. I used to use moth balls in little pie plates around the boat and 3 containers of Damprid. Once you take the cover off the mothball smell quickly dissipates!

After the vinyl seats are clean, remember to use 303 protectant. Good on windshield and plastics too.

After the vinyl seats are clean, remember to use 303 protectant. Good on windshield and plastics too.

good advice, but 303 isn't approved for SimTex upholstery... that said, we'll be washing down the upholstery well with a little bit of dawn and a soft brush/rags to make sure there isn't anything hanging around over the winter...

Do not use 303 if you have the Simtex .
1663946677041.png

Jack, which insurance company do you use. State Farm does not offer for boats. Auto coverage does, want to check out options
available to me.

I have used progressive for 10 years now . I was leary at 1st . My 2014 was hit twice at our old marina . No issues at all . No rate increase and deductible was waived .

Back